Eminence Private Jack Review and Audio Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eminence Private Jack Review and Audio Comparison

I apologize for deleting the other thread but I didn't want to be redundant. I installed my Eminence Private Jack and played it for about 2 1/2 hours. Below are some pictures and a sound clip of my Rivera Clubster Royale with the stock Celestion 70/80 and Private Jack.

First of all, the fizz vanished from my Rivera. It was abundantly clear after installing the Private Jack that the Celestion was so present in the treble and upper mids that it was harsh and fizzy. The Private Jack is exactly what it is described as, exactly like the sound samples on the website, and exactly what everyone says it is.

First of all, it is indeed a balanced speaker. Nothing stands out a lot. The bass is controlled, the mids are present but not spikey like the 70/80, and the treble is also present but smooth. It's kind of a medium bright speaker. It has been described as a "great general purpose" speaker and I think that is a very good description. It sounds like the kind of speaker that will sound good with almost any kind of amp.

One thing that immediately occured to me is how instant the attack is. Before it felt kind of stiff and less responsive with the Celestion 70/80, but now it's very responsive. Legato just rolls off my fingers. I would characterize it as a little looser than the 70/80, but when I finally got my amp very loud, it help up way way better than the stock Celestion.

One thing I noticed was that with my relatively neutral amp settings, I noticed a slight V curve in the EQ of my recording. Before there was a big spike in the treble and upper mids, now the low mids and bass are a little higher an the upper mids and treble are a little lower. A small change in EQ display but a big change in sound.

These are AWESOME FREAKING SPEAKERS! I will add to my review later. For now let me know what you think.

CLICK HERE TO HEAR AN AUDIO COMPARISON

Last edited by UberMetalDood; 04-26-2011, 10:20 PM.

Re: Eminence Private Jack Review and Audio Comparison

nice one!
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Good for you.
      Speakers are very subjective/personal items. Really does not matter what some guys review is, you may hate the speaker that he "loves". I happen to share your appreciation of the PJ, along with a few other Eminence. The Tonker, RW&B, Texas Heat, GB12, Governor. With those 5/6 Eminence, we have been able to supply backline for all different kinds of music needs.
      Plain and simple....you just have to buy/acquire the speakers, make sure they are "broken in", and give the speaker several days/rehearsals for your ears to adjust. It is the only way to make sure you know what you are hearing. Some guys have more amps/guitars to deal with of course.
      Anyway.....whatever. It feels good to have found "the right speaker".
      Enjoy......
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY73mb28orM
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35mZ4BAvEbg
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nToonE52DG8
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl-ddFbSF0

Comment

sweet. I may go for this one if I ever need something british-sounding.

Comment

cool comparison! 70/80 sounds "heavier" to me, redcoat "smoother."

Comment

cool! I may have to try a quad in my Carvin 4x12. I noticed the immediacy (sp?) of response too. When I hit a low E or low power chord, the stock speaker of my Classic 30 would make like a Thud sound and then the chord would ring.. With the PJ, there is no thud and just the chord... The only prob I have is deciding what speakers to choose, cuz they have so many to choose from
            Last edited by BloodRose; 04-27-2011, 03:33 PM.
            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
              cool! I may have to try a quad in my Carvin 4x12. I noticed the immediacy (sp?) of response too. When I hit a low E or low power chord, the stock speaker of my Classic 30 would make like a Thud sound and then the chord would ring.. With the PJ, there is no thud and just the chord... The only prob I have is deciding what speakers to choose, cuz they have so many to choose from
              Three other Eminence speakers I really want to try are the Red, White & Blues, Screaming Eagle, and Black Powder. This is my 2nd experience with Eminence speakers and I believe now that you can't go wrong with Eminence. Next for upgrade is my Engl Screamer and I'm probably going with a Black Powder for that one.

Comment

Hey UberMetalDood, you had suggested a few speaker that you thought would be good for my Blackstar HT Club 40 in your last thread, but you deleted it so I don't remember which ones they were... Lol! Could you tell me which ones those were again?
                Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Comment

Originally posted by guitarkid View Post
                  Hey UberMetalDood, you had suggested a few speaker that you thought would be good for my Blackstar HT Club 40 in your last thread, but you deleted it so I don't remember which ones they were... Lol! Could you tell me which ones those were again?
                  Governor, Wizard, Black Powder, or of course Private Jack. I spoke to the guys at Eminence over the phone and was surprised at the suggestion of a Black Powder because it's a Patriot speaker, but apparently it's awesome with British style amps. That's what I'm going with when my Blackstar Soloist 60 comes in.

Comment

Originally posted by UberMetalDood View Post
                    Governor, Wizard, Black Powder, or of course Private Jack. I spoke to the guys at Eminence over the phone and was surprised at the suggestion of a Black Powder because it's a Patriot speaker, but apparently it's awesome with British style amps. That's what I'm going with when my Blackstar Soloist 60 comes in.
                    Alright cool, thanks man!
                    Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Comment

I am a fan of the PJ myself. Nice review Uber!

Comment

hmm, never heard of the Black Powder.. Sounds explosive.. hahahahaha
                        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing Kookaburra View Post
                          I am a fan of the PJ myself. Nice review Uber!
                          Thanks.

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                          hmm, never heard of the Black Powder.. Sounds explosive.. hahahahaha
                          LOL. I never heard about it unitil just a few days ago but if you hear the sound samples it sounds incredible. It sounds like a cross between a Legend GB128 and a Texas Heat.

Comment

I actually like the 70/80 a bit better. A little thiner, but sounds more musical to me... private jack sounds a litte grating and more fizzy to me actually... ymmv.
                            Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

I'm going to take everyone's 70/80s they don't want and build a 1,000 x 12" cab.

Comment

Working...
                              X