banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How about a 412 with 4 different speakers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about a 412 with 4 different speakers?

I've had a few cabs with combinations of 2 speakers, whether it's criss crossed or top/bottom. I'm wondering about "super cabs" that have combinations of all the best speakers.

I'm thinking of creating a 412 cab like that, where you could choose to mic any speaker, and have a slightly different tone. I'm also thinking it'd be great to stand in front of a cab with 4 16 ohm speakers, but all different sounding, filling in all the frequencies.

Anybody done this? I know that the V30/H30 is optimal for rock, while the V30/G12-75T is the ultimate metal cab. What about a V30, H30, Greenback, G12-75T? Or two American Weber or Eminence, and 2 Celestion?
    Last edited by Gearjoneser; 04-27-2011, 12:37 AM.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Re: How about a 412 with 4 different speakers?

I would like this if it was switchable to a 1x12 or 2x12 where you can select which speaker(s) is active.

Comment

I thought about this, but there's a little more that goes into it. Say you have a G12H30 in there or a GreenBack and the Rest are rated 80+ watts, you might blow the lower watt speaker.
      Originally posted by grumptruck
      No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
      Originally posted by Gear Used
      PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
      Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
      Mesa Stiletto Ace
      Gurus 5015
      Mesa Widebody 1X12
      Pedalboard

Comment

Originally posted by sbecker67 View Post
        I would like this if it was switchable to a 1x12 or 2x12 where you can select which speaker(s) is active.
        This would be cool, Ideal for recording.

Live, if all four are going at once I think there could be a tendency to be a big wall of mess. Maybe if you had a 2 the were similar (like 2 versions of a V30) and 2 more that were slightly different versions of something else.
        Ibanez S520-> NS2->TS9 (Monte Allums Modded)->JCA100H->Emi Texas Heat 4x12

Comment

Originally posted by mwalluk View Post
          I thought about this, but there's a little more that goes into it. Say you have a G12H30 in there or a GreenBack and the Rest are rated 80+ watts, you might blow the lower watt speaker.
          well, it'd take at least 120 W to blow the G12H, assuming that it blows after a few hours of continuously receiving the 30 W it's rated for... No matter what wattage the other speakers are, as long as they're the same impedance, each speaker is getting 1/4 the the total output, right? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, tho.

as long as the sensitivity of each one is close, it shouldn't be horrible, but wouldn't having such a broad EQ kinda bury your sound, compared to the same amp setting but with just one or two kinds of speakers? There's gotta be a reason people like to match speakers in quads or as 2 duets...

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
            What about a V30, H30, Greenback, G12-75T?
            I've tried that combo before with errr...mixed results. It didn't sound bad per se but it's kind of like putting too many ice cream flavours into one cone. It's blends into one indistinct mix because there are so many different frequencies fighting with each other. You won't necessarily be able to hear the strengths of each driver. I went back to the V30/H30 x-pattern and haven't looked back since.

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
              There's gotta be a reason people like to match speakers in quads or as 2 duets...
              Maybe a 612 would be better, 2 of each

2 vintage 30s
              2 G12H30s
              2 Classic Lead 80s (for neutral)
              Originally posted by grumptruck
              No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
              Originally posted by Gear Used
              PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
              Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
              Mesa Stiletto Ace
              Gurus 5015
              Mesa Widebody 1X12
              Pedalboard

Comment

It would be an interesting idea Joe, especially if you added partitions to the inside of the box to isolate the speakers. So as well as having 4 diiferent speakers, you could have it divided into two 2 x 12's, or a 2 x 12 and two 1 x 12's or four 1 x 12's. How the hell you could wire it up to be usable I have no idea.

Comment

My 4 12 cab has a great mix...a pair of G12Hs on the slant, upper corner, Classic Lead 80 and lower corner V30...I love the sound!

Gibson KS 336, LP Standard, Special and Customs
                  Bogner, Orange, Tech 21 and Fender amps
                  Celestion speakers
                  Duncan, Bare Knuckle, WCR and Gibson pups
                  Too many pedals....

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. It's probably one of those things where I won't know if I like it unless I try it. But Animal makes a good point about too many frequencies fighting each other, rather than complimenting each other. If some of the cones are vibrating at different lengths, it could become an indistinct mess.

I know a lot of players like a criss cross pattern in 412's, but I'm beginning to prefer top/bottom pattern, so the sound of the cab doesn't change as you move side to side.
                    Usually something like Vin 30's on top, and either 75T's or H30's on bottom.
                    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Love mixed speakers, in fact that is all I use these days. I only have 2/12 cabs, but I would do the same with a 4/12.
                      ]
                      FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
                      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Working...
                      X