High Gain Dirt Pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Gain Dirt Pedal

Not a metal guy by any stretch as I rarely max out the gain on my OD pedals but I have a few tracks to record that require a Vai/Petrucci tight, higher gain type of sound. I am not going to throw mad dollars at an amp but I might consider a few bucks for a pedal that can get me in the neighborhood. Suggestions?
    Last edited by AudioWonderland; 04-27-2011, 04:04 PM.

Re: High Gain Dirt Pedal

You mention you have OD pedals. What are they? Tried stacking them yet? Some of the best heavier sounds I've had have been combinations of pedals and pedals+amp drive.

EDIT: It's likely that none of this is news to you, I guess. Still, it had to be said before someone else said it.
    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

I don't know about a Vai-Petrucci sound, but the Subdecay Super Nova Drive is one of my favorite pedals. Here is a video review of it. It gets to a pretty high gain, and sounds super when stacked with an OD pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
        You mention you have OD pedals. What are they? Tried stacking them yet? Some of the best heavier sounds I've had have been combinations of pedals and pedals+amp drive.

EDIT: It's likely that none of this is news to you, I guess. Still, it had to be said before someone else said it.
        I have not tried stacking them. They all have pretty big mids and the sound I hear from Vai/Petrucci is a bit mid cut. Certainly worth trying though.

Comment

Something along the lines of a DS1 is good for those liquid lead tones. Maybe a Stachurator would do the job for you, or a keeley modded ds1 (thats what vai uses).
          Or for sweeter tone with high gain, a Rat will work. Rats also sound pretty cool with an overdrive in front of them.
          If you really want scoop tho - and masses of gain and tone shaping, check out an MI Audio Tube Zone.
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

If it has to sound Vai-esque, get the Jemini...although I'm pretty sure that's distortion, not overdrive.
            GuitarStv: O.o

Comment

Working...
            X