Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laney Custom Designed Speakers

does anyone know anything about these?

I opened up one of my cabs and these were in it.

i was thinking of putting Rocket 50's into the cab seeing how they're relitivily cheap
    www.AllItsWorth.ie

Gibson Les Paul Studio
    Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/SD Invaders

Orange Thunderverb 50

Re: Laney Custom Designed Speakers

Keifer.... do they have the union jack label on the speaker? If they do, they are likely made by H&H, which is an old British company. H&H was bought by Laney a few years back.

I'd try to avoid the Rocket 50's as I don't believe you would ever be happy with them. I also don't expect you will get many responses either here or at the Laney Forum. The speakers you are talking about aren't likely a known quantity.

One way to approach this is to describe how the cab sounds now, and what direction you would like to go it. Another hands on option would be to borrow a V30 cab or take your head to a guitar store and play through another cab with speakers that are a know speaker to the guitar world and you will then have a starting point. Without a starting point it is hard for people to recommend speakers....... well except for the guy who always recommends the same speaker no matter what the situation is.

I always find it hard to recommend speakers to our European brothers as I don't even pretend to know what is available to you. I've seen Eminence and WGS speakers recommended to you guys and the shipping is prohibitive. But, you should be able to get Celestions, and if you can get a handle on what a V30 sounds like with your amp, about a million guys can give you a recommendation on what direction to go then. The great thing about a V30 is most everyone knows what they sound like.

I hope this helps even though it isn't what you are looking for.
    Jackson, Ibanez & Ovation Guitars
    Laney, Marshall & Peavey Amplification

((tube max dissipation wattage / amp plate voltage) x % of max dissipation wattage) x 1000 = bias current in mA

"There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, never a man that couldn't be throwed." - Marshall Matt Dillon - GUNSMOKE (1959)

Comment

Originally posted by wixedmords View Post
      except for the guy who always recommends the same speaker no matter what the situation is.
      The answer is Greenbacks.
      Originally posted by jmh151
      I'd hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the King of England
      Originally posted by jeremy
      like if we were walking down the sidewalk and you said "hey check her out" chances are i already saw her and mentally sodomized her
      Originally posted by grumptruck
      Media only reports on what the sheeple wanna see/hear/read.
      Sometimes not read.
      dats hard

Comment

Yeah, man. I think they money you'd spend on four Rocket 50s would be much better spent on two better Celestions.

To Wixed, Emi speakers are fairly easy to find here, usually with a little bit of a mark up in price from their Celestion counterparts. This place seems to have the fairest price for them that I've found in the UK, being pretty much on par with Celestion. They are a bit harder to find on the used market, though.

OFF TOPIC EDIT: By the way, dude, I recently came across a guide you wrote on how to bias an AOR on the Laney forums. Very well written and illustrated, man. Nice job. Thanks.
        I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Lets just get some counterfeit speakers on ebay and hope we don't get caught...
          Originally posted by jmh151
          I'd hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the King of England
          Originally posted by jeremy
          like if we were walking down the sidewalk and you said "hey check her out" chances are i already saw her and mentally sodomized her
          Originally posted by grumptruck
          Media only reports on what the sheeple wanna see/hear/read.
          Sometimes not read.
          dats hard

Comment

Originally posted by wixedmords View Post
            Keifer.... do they have the union jack label on the speaker?
            im not sure actually, heres a pic of the back of the speaker

at the moment the cab sounds fine, i had posted on here about volume levels of amps cause i found it hard to be heard over my my other guitarist, i started to think it could be the cabs, the cab he uses has seventy 80s and seeings how mine are just an unknown speaker, i came to the conclusion awhile ago that its probly my speakers that are letting me down.

the speakers at the mo are alright, i get a nice punch from them, they have a nice high end, but compared to the seventy 80s it just doesnt come close, the 70/80s just does at that much better with much better clarity.

Id be perfectly happy with a set of 70/80's myself, i think the low end punch you get from them is great and it still has a great high end, its perfect for my style
            www.AllItsWorth.ie

Gibson Les Paul Studio

Orange Thunderverb 50

Comment

Seventy 80's shouldn't be expensive Kiefer. The sensitivity is 98dB so it may not solve your
              volume issues, but if you like them they may be worth a shot. Like I said, you should be able to score them cheap.

Thanks for the good word Kam. It reminds me, I need to seal the deck.

((tube max dissipation wattage / amp plate voltage) x % of max dissipation wattage) x 1000 = bias current in mA

"There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, never a man that couldn't be throwed." - Marshall Matt Dillon - GUNSMOKE (1959)

Comment

i think im gonna do that actually, dont spose anyone here has experience switching speakers? ive seen that at the back of the speakers theres little yokes that can pop off, is it as simple as just poping them back on the new speaker?

also i can only afford 2 at the moment so what place in the cab would be best? 2 horizontal along the top? 2 vertical on either side? what do you reckon?
                www.AllItsWorth.ie

Gibson Les Paul Studio

Orange Thunderverb 50

Comment

You should be able to nearly steal seventy 80's Kiefer.

Sething like this..... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BNIB-CELESTION...item1c1ab315eb

The downside is they could be hard to sell down the line as there isn't a big draw to Seventy 80's.

Do you have access to a muiltimeter? The cab is likely series/parallel with 16 ohm speakers but it is always better to check. Taking things for granted always makes Murphy's Law strike, well in my expereince.

Comment

im pretty sure its 8ohms, my heads 8 ohms and it also says 8 ohms at the back of the cab,

ive found 8 ohms seventy 80s on ebay but still can only afford two :/ im completely strapped for cash
                    www.AllItsWorth.ie

Gibson Les Paul Studio

Orange Thunderverb 50

Comment

On Laney's website they list the LX412A. It appears to be a more budget cab. Not picking on your cab, just trying to keep perspective. They list it as having Rocket 50 speakers, at least the new ones do. Looking at what you have I bet they are Rocket 50's relabeled.

The website also lists the cab as an 8 ohm cab, which could mean (4) 8 ohm speakers wired series/parallel. I would still stick a meter on the speaker though to provide more data to get the best information to make a better decision.

Comment

8 ohms listed on the can and 8 ohms on the rear selector doesn't mean an 8 ohms speaker.

Comment

lol its exactly the fact that its a budget cab that im getting better speakers for it, unfortunatly i dont have access to a meter...
                          www.AllItsWorth.ie

Gibson Les Paul Studio

Orange Thunderverb 50

Comment

Working...
                          X