Guitar Effect Pedals For Any Types Of Metal? - Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Effect Pedals For Any Types Of Metal? - Suggestions

I'm in the market to buy a guitar effect pedal for Metal. Yes, Metal. Any type of Metal is what I play. This is my equiptment that I'm currently using, recording, pratice, and on stage.

Pratice Amp - Bugera 5V Tube Amp

Recording/Stage Amps - Line 6 Spider IV 75 Watt and a Modern Vintage Amp 100W half stack, built by hand.

Guitars - Washburn PS 400 (pickups are unknown), Dean Flying V (SH-2n and SH-13), and a custom made SG (with a pair of AHB-1's).

These are the pedals I've currently used, took back, sold, and/or currently selling.

Boss MT-2 Metal Zone

Ibaneze TS9 Tube Screamer

Boss SD-1 SuperOverDrive

Dunlop Original Crybaby

Digitech Metal Master

So please don't recommend those pedals. My top dollar will be 150 dollars (before tax of course), but nothing above it, please. Thank you in advance for suggesting pedals. Distortion/OverDrive are the pedals I'm looking at for my tube amp and my solid state amp.

Re: Guitar Effect Pedals For Any Types Of Metal? - Suggestions

i can't think of any pedals that will coax convincing high-quality tones from those amps

it would help us out a lot if you narrowed down what you mean by "metal"

like point us towards a band you like the tone of or something.

but, seriously, the amp is the biggest part of your tone, and you're talking about a 5w Booger and a Line 6 Spider.

there are sooo many people who have pulled such awesome tones out of the pedals you told us not to recommend...the biggest difference is they plugged them into high-quality tube amps that were cranked up enough to get the tubes working hard.

That's my advice bro...the pedals you have aren't bad...but those amps could be a looooooooooooot better.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

^Couldn't have said it better myself.
      Originally posted by TheLivingDead
      H-S guitars with floyds make me erect.
      Originally posted by jcthejester13
      I'm pretty sure it's like nailing twins. They are identical but feel totally different.

Comment

You could also try a modded MT-2 but I find metal needs to come out of amps as well as guitars. Hard rock can do with pedals. There is Wampler stuff but a bit over your price range and like they have said it depends on the metal. You could get old school kinda metal pretty good with some pedals but heavy heavy stuff maybe not.
        Gondola Kid
        Bandcamp
        Facebook
        JimijaymesGuitarist
        Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
          i can't think of any pedals that will coax convincing high-quality tones from those amps

it would help us out a lot if you narrowed down what you mean by "metal"

like point us towards a band you like the tone of or something.

but, seriously, the amp is the biggest part of your tone, and you're talking about a 5w Booger and a Line 6 Spider.

there are sooo many people who have pulled such awesome tones out of the pedals you told us not to recommend...the biggest difference is they plugged them into high-quality tube amps that were cranked up enough to get the tubes working hard.

That's my advice bro...the pedals you have aren't bad...but those amps could be a looooooooooooot better.
          Wait a sec, he did say a Vintage Modern clone right? I'd think he'd just be able to crank the SD-1 and slam the front end and get some decent tones. It continues to work for Zak.

Ya know, Kerry King uses a modded 800, so maybe stacking some pedals? Pick up a modded Boss DS-1 to run WITH your SD-1 for solos. I'd specifically look for an Analogman unit.

In my opinion, stand alone pedals for metal tones aren't usually that great, especially plugged into modelling amps. The best I can think of is the ZVEX Box of Metal

ZVEX makes guitar effects pedals, bass pedals, and amps. Shop our unique products here.

Luke
          “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Duke View Post
            Wait a sec, he did say a Vintage Modern clone right?
            Modern Vintage Amp 100W half stack, built by hand.
            Not quite sure what that means...
            Custom neck-thru strat
            1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
            1995 PRS CE24
            D'avanzo #8
            Breedlove Solo Concert
            1996 USA Dean Baby Z
            1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
            1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
            Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

The hardwire metal pedal is decent. But like EP said, it's worthless to even invest in anything other than a new amp. You can buy all the pedals in the world, hell even get a custom made pedal and it'll still sound like @$$. The amp is the most important piece in your arsenal. You can get a way with a cheap guitar thru a good amp, not vice versa.

SELL your line 6 and whatever else you can, buy a Peavey 6505. Problem solved. Your recording and live shows instantly sound better
              Originally posted by grumptruck
              No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
              Originally posted by Gear Used
              PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
              Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
              Mesa Stiletto Ace
              Gurus 5015
              Mesa Widebody 1X12
              Pedalboard

Comment

Working...
              X