hairy clean channel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hairy clean channel?

I have been reading some on-line reviews, and I have doubts about some of the tube amp terminology ... what does it mean 'hairy clean channel'?

Re: hairy clean channel?

It means that the designated clean channel is not actually producing clean guitar sounds.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

The clean tone will have a small amount of breakup distortion.
      '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

I got it. thanks.

Comment

IME, a channel set just on the edge of breakup -- hit the strings hard and they distort, gently and they don't -- is where most amp' best "cleans" come from. It can be a little tricky controlling your attack so that things stay shimmery, rather than crunchy/fuzzy, but if you do....WHEEEEE.

Plus, if there's a heavier bit, what's more natural than just playing the SHT out of your guitar to make the amp transition into honest-to-god dirt?
          ---------------------------
          The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

hairy brown eye
            tone slut
            Marshall DSL 40C
            Fender EVH Striped Series
            Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
            Fender Squier Tele Affinity
            Mogami cables

Comment

Some people prefer pristine cleans... but others including myself prefer a little tube goodness in there, which mean a responsive and controlled breakup depending on how hard the strings are picked or strummed. I like a little character on my cleans...

Comment

Originally posted by guitarded View Post
                Some people prefer pristine cleans... but others including myself prefer a little tube goodness in there, which mean a responsive and controlled breakup depending on how hard the strings are picked or strummed. I like a little character on my cleans...
                Translation . . . "I don't like to play clean" . . .

:P
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
                  IME, a channel set just on the edge of breakup -- hit the strings hard and they distort, gently and they don't -- is where most amp' best "cleans" come from. It can be a little tricky controlling your attack so that things stay shimmery, rather than crunchy/fuzzy, but if you do....WHEEEEE.

Plus, if there's a heavier bit, what's more natural than just playing the SHT out of your guitar to make the amp transition into honest-to-god dirt?
                  this guy knows what he's talkin about

except for jazz, for that you just want clean cleans--a big part of swing is accents, and if every time you hit an accented note it got dirty, well, wouldn't work very well

but for band stuff i highly prefer them, seems like there's an extra bit of sparkle you get from gettin your cleans this way
                  Originally posted by gibson175
                  metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Even the most pristine clean tube tone has a tiny bit of distortion in it. That's the nature of tubes. More or less is up to the player.
                    Last edited by guitfiddle; 05-06-2011, 06:29 PM.
                    - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                    Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                    The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Originally posted by guitfiddle View Post
                      Even the most pristine clean tube tone has a tiny bit of distortion in it. That's the nature of tubes. More or less is up to the player.
                      +1. i think i heard from a soundguy once that .4 or 4% harmonic distortion is optimum (in tape recordings.) in amps, it can be undetectable as distortion per se, but the unconscious warmth distinguishes Under the Bridge from Enter Sandman.

Comment

Working...
                      X