banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

These Knobs Are Made For Turning, And That's Just What They Do, One Of These Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: These Knobs Are Made For Turning, And That's Just What They Do, One Of These Days

It's all in the fingers. You can use them to adjust the controls, play and incite.

sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
    - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Re: These Knobs Are Made For Turning, And That's Just What They Do, One Of These Days

Originally posted by GoldenVulture View Post
      It's all in the fingers. You can use them to adjust the controls, play and incite.

Thios isnt a secks forum
      "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
        Thios isnt a secks forum
        No, they're a music act!

- http://www.myspace.com/thios -

sigpic

Comment

This post reminds me of my old audio days. "Purists" would simply not turn a tone control. God forbid they should buy an outboard EQ. That would "color" the sound. It wouldn't be "natural".

But they'd spend countless hours, and God only knows how much money, swapping speakers, cartridges, dyna-mats et al., because there was too much bass or too little treble, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
            This post reminds me of my old audio days. "Loonies" would simply not turn a tone control. God forbid they should buy an outboard EQ. That would "color" the sound. It wouldn't be "natural".

But they'd spend countless hours, and God only knows how much money, swapping speakers, cartridges, dyna-mats et al., because there was too much bass or too little treble, etc.
            You mean the ones that ran everything flat because " That's the way it was mastered " ? They fail to realize they don't have a studio control room to listen to it , with exactly the same dynamic construction.
            Last edited by GoldenVulture; 05-06-2011, 09:59 PM. Reason: Loonies
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
              This post reminds me of my old audio days. "Purists" would simply not turn a tone control. God forbid they should buy an outboard EQ. That would "color" the sound. It wouldn't be "natural".

Brilliant analogy Artie. I grew up as one of those "purists". An old Dynakit St-70 tube amp and a pair of KLH-24's would give the most natural 'euphonic' natural tone in the universe. An amp doesnt have tone controls, and the preamps were set to 0.

Early UK audio had a more upper mid focused tone with the BBC Rogers LS3-5'a benchmarks with the beuatiful, glorious midrange bloom.

In the US, the JBL moniotr speakers would put midrange forward for a liveley dynamic sound,w ith a briliant top end and the bass drivers were contolled for a taught bass.

Then, the modern British hi-fi sound emerged with the KEF, B&W' and primarilay the Celstion SL-6 with a very fl;at response.not lively , but voiced for classical and jazz sound , with transparency and "tonal neutrality" as the ultimate goal.

The old Tube Hi-Fi amps/preamps , both American and British( thugh i its acleare and more dynamic) and KLH / AR speaker is still , to this day, the most palpable and organic sound , notwithsatnding very very expensive modern hi fi systems.
              Last edited by MetalManiac; 05-06-2011, 10:12 PM.
              "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

I totally know what Jolly's talking about. I remember a thread by a guy who was going through pickups like crazy, complaining that no pickup sounded right. Everyone was telling him to do magnet swaps, tube swaps, speaker swaps etc.
                By chance, someone asked him what his amp and EQ settings were, and he had his mids on 1 or something.

A good sounding amp, a good playing guitar, and a good player means more than all the other details.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I can sympathize and have been guilty of it myself. The quickest way to zap your bank account is to over analyze everything about your sound. Too often, we(especially those with GAS) are to quick to start changing everything in our setup because we don't hear what we want right off the bat. There's merit to all sides and opinions, but the bottom line is, you have to spend enough time with the gear you have to know its strengths and weaknesses before you start changing everything.

I've recently done it to myself. I bought to much stuff, to close together, and I tried getting it to all working together perfectly without spending time with each piece on its own for awhile.

I tell ya what. As much I love this place and am able to call a lot of you friends, this place is bad for a guitar player. A little bit of cash and having instant access to all kinds of knowledge from a bunch of guys that knows their stuff will have you broke and chasing yourself in circles in no time.

It took me a few years and a little time off from everything, but I finally learned on my own that it doesn't matter who's name is on your headstock, amp, or pedals. All that matters is that if it sounds good, plays good, and makes you happy.....That's all that matters. A lot of great musicians made great music with stuff they had to make do with because they didn't have the options we have today. These days we have too many options and a whole lot of mediocre at best music. EVH wrote some of the coolest songs ever on a parts mutt and a beat up plexi. Randy Rhoads shocked the world with his talent and he had a run of the mill Les Paul and a V that was converted Karl Sandoval, and some Stock Marshalls cranked to the max.

I really don't think those guys sat around and obsessed about every little part of the their setup. They play what they for a long period of time, became familiar with what they had, made a few changes when the knew what they needed to achieve their sound and Presto.....Magic!
                  Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

P.S. After typing all of that....I still want Joe's white chassis XTC....One of these days....oh yes.....Mr.9Fingers will have one of his own to..Oh yes.
                    Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

Originally posted by 9finger View Post
                      P.S. After typing all of that....I still want Joe's white chassis XTC....One of these days....oh yes.....Mr.9Fingers will have one of his own to..Oh yes.
                      I probably saved a lot of money on amps and other gear by buying that original white chassic Bogner XTC. I'm less picky about guitars and pickups because everything sounds good through it. After dialing it in with great tubes and biasing, it would make anything from a $150 - $4000 guitar sound just fine. Just change a few settings, and it'll match itself to any pickups or wood.
                      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                        And I disagree, and thats why I need more guitars with different woods and pickups. I like my Marshall JMP . Its a wonderfully organic tone. Even though the JMP will always have the Marshall signature tone, the amplifier eq'd voicing of all those different woods and pickups( Ash, Alder, MAhogany, Mpale, etc), gives each isntrument a difefrent tone ..and add to that that the pickups have been selectively coupled to the tonewood for best results, and the harmonic convergence is a total delight.
                        With the high quality r APh's, Seths, Cutoms, etc etc. picking up the resonant charecter of the guitar( for betetr or for worse), the amp EQ is there to shape the final sound everything; to generally balance the sound and to fine tune it.
                        To *define the tone is the primary responsiblity of the pickup./ Its the first in the chain of command of tone. Its at the headwaters of the signal-It outsources the prime sound of the wood and the guitar to the rest of the signal chain. The pickup sould have a synergystic rrelartionshipwith the tonewood. This fundamental will become the cornerstone for the final tone of the amp.
                        And in what way does that contradict what I said?
                        You are correct, it's just that I don't care enough because IMO, as a performer,
                        there's much more to gain by playing the hell out of your gear and learning it's tonal sweetspots, rather than just panicking about pickup magnets and cap values.
                        Pass one of your guitars and your JMP to a newbie and let him set it up and play a bit. It will sound like crap. Then, give it to Joe Bonamassa.
                        I'll put my money on Bonamassa squeezing tones you didn't know were there.

Many folks here are tone enthusiasts rather than guitar enthusiasts.
                        Count me on the latter. It's cheaper.
                        Last edited by Diego; 05-07-2011, 06:57 AM.
                        Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                        Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                        Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                        Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                          These knobs are gonna tweak all over you.

Yeah, I know it's a dorky Nancy Sinatra thingie, buuuuuuuuuut.........

I don't get the deal with people always wanting to know what pickup to get brighter, or what pedal to get darker, or whatever's whatever.

I just got finished playing my li'l $149 Squier through my Marshall JVM410H for about an hour. It sounded great by the way. However, it doean't sound the same as when it did right after I played my Gibson RD through the amp. Guess what? I tweaked two knobs and it sounded perfect. I put that guitar down and played my Gibson Les Paul Classic with some Pearly Gates in it. It didn't sound exactly like I wanted it to, so I tweaked a couple of knobs and it sounded perfect.

I play different guitars throught that amp all of the time. Besides the fact that my ears seem to change from day to day and sometimes things don't sound the way I like right off of the bat, all I have to do is usually either tweak my Presence, Treble, or Mids....and it's usually only one of those and maybe two.

Am I the only one that just turns a knob here and there on this forum? Sometimes I wonder, and the reason being is because alot of people ask questions like I afforementioned in the third sentence of this rambling thread...lol.

What's so hard about turning a knob here and there? I couldn't tell you how many times I've been somewhere where some friends are jamming or whatever, and someone looks at me and says something like "this is too bassy", "this treble is driving me crazy", or whatever, and then they proceed to ask me about different pickups, speakers, or whatever. I walk over and turn a few knobs and they look at me all amazed like I just parted the freakin Red Sea or something because their amp sounds amazing all of a sudden.

Is it just me or do I not know what I'm talking about because I just shook half of my brain loose from crankin up the mighty Marshall with two totally different guitars?
                          You keep tweaking and turning your knobs, you'll go blind.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

So Jolly, you have friends who will say 'This is too bassy' and it doesn't occur to them to turn the bass down ?

Comment

Generally I tend to agree with you Jolly . . . if you've got a passable sounding guitar and amp, little tweaks of the knobs are really all that you need. Although, I did start out a set one time with my wah pedal on without realizing it . . . and no amount of panicked tweaking the guitar's tone knob for the first three songs seemed to be able to fix the sound. :P
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                                Generally I tend to agree with you Jolly . . . if you've got a passable sounding guitar and amp, little tweaks of the knobs are really all that you need. Although, I did start out a set one time with my wah pedal on without realizing it . . . and no amount of panicked tweaking the guitar's tone knob for the first three songs seemed to be able to fix the sound. :P
                                Ha!!!

I'm sure that kinda thing has happened to all of us at least once. It has driven me crazy on many occassions.
                                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                                X