BOSS TR-2 Tremelo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOSS TR-2 Tremelo

Anyone like this pedal? Looking to pick up a cheap vibrato/tremelo pedal. Mainly using it for rhythm work, think Green Day Blvd of Broken Dreams. How is this pedal? Does it color your tone? Is there any volume drop? etc. I found one for cheap.
    Originally posted by grumptruck
    No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
    Originally posted by Gear Used
    PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
    Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
    Mesa Stiletto Ace
    Gurus 5015
    Mesa Widebody 1X12
    Pedalboard

Re: BOSS TR-2 Tremelo

I really like it. It's a great simple trem. There is no special _____ on it but it gets the job done and is pretty good at it.

The older ones did have a volume drop (pre 2008?) but the new ones do not.
    Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
      I really like it. It's a great simple trem. There is no special _____ on it but it gets the job done and is pretty good at it.

The older ones did have a volume drop (pre 2008?) but the new ones do not.
      Is there anyway to tell how old by looking at it? This is a used one at a store.
      No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
      Mesa Stiletto Ace
      Gurus 5015
      Mesa Widebody 1X12
      Pedalboard

Comment

If I recall correctly, you can fix that volume drop by clipping a resistor in the circuit on the older ones anyways . . .
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
          If I recall correctly, you can fix that volume drop by clipping a resistor in the circuit on the older ones anyways . . .
          Sweet. So no soldering required? Just snip a wire and done?
          Mesa Stiletto Ace
          Gurus 5015
          Mesa Widebody 1X12
          Pedalboard

Comment

Actually, no it's a resistor swap. I did it on mine, but you may find you don't need it. Mine is actually too loud now, and I need to get in there one of these days and split the difference on that resistor.

Dating Boss pedals is easy, just go to http://www.bossarea.com/ and type the serial number into their Serial Number Decoder (under the General Information heading on the menu).

The TR-2 is a great all-around trem pedal. It's a bit fiddly - you need to dial in the wave shape to your liking - but it's flexible and indestructible. Not the be-all-and-end-all in authentic, vintage tremolo, but a really good pedal for some one who just needs a trem in their toolkit.
            Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
            Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

I have one. I installed a switch so it's now a Tremolo/Boost.

I don't think the volume drop is really a problem out of the box though. You can hear when it's on. You won't disappear behind your bandmates, the stutter stands out.
              Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
              Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
              Originally posted by Sosomething
              "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

Originally posted by korovamilkdud View Post
                I have one. I installed a switch so it's now a Tremolo/Boost.

I don't think the volume drop is really a problem out of the box though. You can hear when it's on. You won't disappear behind your bandmates, the stutter stands out.
                Any excess noise, hums, etc? My amp is already loud being high gain, not trying to add to it.
                Mesa Stiletto Ace
                Gurus 5015
                Mesa Widebody 1X12
                Pedalboard

Comment

Originally posted by mwalluk View Post
                  Any excess noise, hums, etc? My amp is already loud being high gain, not trying to add to it.
                  Just make sure that you put it in your effects loop and it should be good.

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
                  Actually, no it's a resistor swap.
                  Thank you! I remember reading something about this years ago, but couldn't recall all the details.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Just make sure that you put it in your effects loop and it should be good.

Thank you! I remember reading something about this years ago, but couldn't bring up all the details.
                    Problem is I have no efx loop...... It's a single channel amp. No frills.
                    Mesa Stiletto Ace
                    Gurus 5015
                    Mesa Widebody 1X12
                    Pedalboard

Comment

It hisses a little. Of course, I have it in front of my amp.

It feels good though. The boost adds a little punch in the high end. A little sparkle. Not thin or harsh or anything.
                      Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
                      Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
                      Originally posted by Sosomething
                      "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

Problem is I have no efx loop...... It's a single channel amp. No frills.
                        You may not like the sounds you get with a trem pedal then. The trem pedal in front of the amp is going to modify the amount of distortion more than the volume level . . . could be what you want, could be a miss. Make sure you try one out in front of the amp for a bit before buying.

Comment

You may not like the sounds you get with a trem pedal then. The trem pedal in front of the amp is going to modify the amount of distortion more than the volume level . . . could be what you want, could be a miss. Make sure you try one out in front of the amp for a bit before buying.
                          I'm sure I can tweak it out to my satisfaction. Even when I had an efx loop on my other amps, I mainly connected it into the front. If it modified the gain, I may be able to work with it with the level of gains my amp produces (VHT/Fryette Deliverance Sixty) or I can always use my DS1.
                          Mesa Stiletto Ace
                          Gurus 5015
                          Mesa Widebody 1X12
                          Pedalboard

Comment

Any good settings for the tremolo effect on blvd of broken dreams?
                            Mesa Stiletto Ace
                            Gurus 5015
                            Mesa Widebody 1X12
                            Pedalboard

Comment

The easiest way live is to use a tap tempo trem . . . otherwise, just try and set it to the same beat as the song that you're playing, set it to mostly square wave, and turn up the amplitude of the wave.

Check the first part of this link

The key with any tremolo pedal playing is to really lock in to the rhythm. Otherwise it'll sound ****.

Comment

Working...
                              X