Eminence Speaker Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eminence Speaker Suggestions

It took me 14 years but I finally blew my first speaker. I just blew a celestion vintage 30 in a 2x12 I was using in conjunction with a Marshall Vintage Modern 50 watt and I need some suggestions for a replacement. I've got another 2x12 but it's running at 4 Ohms and it's got a Governer and a Tonker in it. I really like that cab and I was thinking of just ditching the Celestion/Chinese crap and getting some all america power but I need some help finding some warm replacement speakers that bring out the best in my Vintage Modern.
    Also what do you think, two 8 ohms in series or two 16 ohm in parallel?

Thanks in advance

Re: Eminence Speaker Suggestions

Wizard and Governor get along really well in a 2x12. Also, Texas Heat and either Wizard or Gov work nicely as well. Warehouse Guitar Speakers are another option too.

Comment

Originally posted by rolandwalks View Post
      It took me 14 years but I finally blew my first speaker. I just blew a celestion vintage 30 in a 2x12 I was using in conjunction with a Marshall Vintage Modern 50 watt and I need some suggestions for a replacement. I've got another 2x12 but it's running at 4 Ohms and it's got a Governer and a Tonker in it. I really like that cab and I was thinking of just ditching the Celestion/Chinese crap and getting some all america power but I need some help finding some warm replacement speakers that bring out the best in my Vintage Modern.
      Also what do you think, two 8 ohms in series or two 16 ohm in parallel?

Thanks in advance

I think a pair of Tonespotters would work well.

Comment

two speakers in series usually sounds thicker than two in parallel which would have a clearer high end

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          two speakers in series usually sounds thicker than two in parallel which would have a clearer high end
          Thanks I didn't realize that! What's the general feeling regarding eminence here?

Comment

I dig most of the ones I've tried. I really like the wizard and cannabis rex, swamp thang is awesome for adding lows. Not a big fan of the gov, but i'm not a fan of v30's either.

the only one I really truly didn't care for was the red white & blues
            Originally posted by gibson175
            metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

What didn't you like about the RW&B?

BTW, the Swamp Thang is my favorite spkr.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                What didn't you like about the RW&B?

BTW, the Swamp Thang is my favorite spkr.
                So what do you guys think about a wizard and a swamp thang in a closed back 2x12?

Comment

I had that combo in a closed back 4x12 and loved it, but if you play metal it may be a bit too... thick for you, since both are relatively scooped and v30s seem to be the only thing that consistently works for super high gain. In the end though I ended up goin back to all wizards when I stopped playin stoner rock--a little less low end, a little more clarity. Either of them will have tons more low end than a v30, though

The RWB to me just sounded like a dark v30, reminded me of the dude from AFI's tone, not really what I'm goin for haha

fwiw I've heard the tonker is basically like a slightly warmer Wizard. Never played the tonker in person though
                  Originally posted by gibson175
                  metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Eh, I have Drew's speakers, I use them to play metal, capable of loads of lows, I like the combo.

Comment

The Governor is a go-to kind of speaker. It's like a modded V30... very similar to one but as most people would agree, better. I don't think you would go wrong with that one. I'm also digging the Man o War a lot lately. I just got one and must say that even the awesome Private Jack doesn't sound as good in my Rivera. I'm going to have to try it in my Screamer too. I happen to have a brand new one 16 ohms. PM if you have an interest.

Comment

Working...
                      X