Recommend some good,inexpensive dirt/OD pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend some good,inexpensive dirt/OD pedals

Looking for something with that tele through cranked plexish tone. Obviously not gonna get the spot on sound, but anything remotely close will work.

Re: Recommend some good,inexpensive dirt/OD pedals

Bad Monkey, SD-1, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, all under $50.
    Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

If you can solder, buy a used Boss Blues Driver, get the schematics for the Keeley mod, and enjoy.

It sounds freakin' gorgeous. Warm, crunchy, super clean gain.
      Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
      Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
      Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
      Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
        If you can solder, buy a used Boss Blues Driver, get the schematics for the Keeley mod, and enjoy.

It sounds freakin' gorgeous. Warm, crunchy, super clean gain.
        I've been looking into this actually. Heard a few clips of one and liked...

Anyone ever try a GFS Greenie?

Comment

I'm a big fan of the Boss SD-1. It's got a great brightness that never gets too harsh, and also seems to have more gain than most ODs I've played. Some GC's still have those MXR Classic Overdrives on sale for 30 dollars. That's an incredible deal for any pedal, let alone an MXR. It's very very similar to their GT08 (I think that's what it's called), there are some shoot outs where they sound basically identical.
          Gear:
          Fender '03 CIJ Antigua Strat
          Epi Dot Natural
          Partscaster blackie
          Breedlove Passport Mahogany
          VOX V845 -> MXR Blue Box -> Boss CS-3 -> MXR Phase 90 -> Paul C. Tim OD -> Fulltone Plimsoul -> Boss CE-3 -> EHX Memory Toy -> SD Deja Vu Delay >
          Marshall Artist 30 4202 or Bugera V5

I WORK FOR GC, IF YOU NEED A DEAL PM ME!!!

Comment

BAd monkey and a DS-1 would be a tough pair to beat.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

yjm308

Comment

All this Bad Monkey/SD-1 BS...thats never gonna sound like a Plexi, never...

What are you calling inexpensive??

In this crazy world for $1200 Klon OD pedals $350 might be inexpensive to some guys...I'm not one of them so thats why I ask...

What is your budget???
                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                  All this Bad Monkey/SD-1 BS...thats never gonna sound like a Plexi, never...

What are you calling inexpensive??

In this crazy world for $1200 Klon OD pedals $350 might be inexpensive to some guys...I'm not one of them so thats why I ask...

What is your budget???
                  Hey - You'll notice I said DS-1, not SD-1

And again - just because it costs 350 does not mean it's any good, just that it's expensive.

And at some point...you just have to have a reality check. NO box is worth $1200. There is NO sound that takes $1200 that cannot be reproduced for maybe 1/10th of that.

I realize our opinions are at odds with each other often. Just saying, when the labels come off, and the blindfolds go on, and all people have is their ears....BS walks.

Same with booze. There is a reason that it's called cork sniffing when boo-teek guitar/amp/pedal guys start talking.

But that budget thing is a good question....

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    Hey - You'll notice I said DS-1, not SD-1

And again - just because it costs 350 does not mean it's any good, just that it's expensive.

And at some point...you just have to have a reality check. NO box is worth $1200. There is NO sound that takes $1200 that cannot be reproduced for maybe 1/10th of that.

I realize our opinions are at odds with each other often. Just saying, when the labels come off, and the blindfolds go on, and all people have is their ears....BS walks.

Same with booze. There is a reason that it's called cork sniffing when boo-teek guitar/amp/pedal guys start talking.

But that budget thing is a good question....
                    I wasn't talking to you...not just to you.

I was simply saying that price completely a side a Bad Mokney or an SD-1 will not give you a Marshall like crunch.

There are plenty of boxes that are worth big bucks...people pay it all the time, if you don't feel like they are worth it then don't pay it...plain and simple.

Anyway, if the OP will give a budget I will give my humble opinion as to what pedal(s) he should be looking at.
                    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                      I wasn't talking to you...not just to you.

I was simply saying that price completely a side a Bad Mokney or an SD-1 will not give you a Marshall like crunch.

There are plenty of boxes that are worth big bucks...people pay it all the time, if you don't feel like they are worth it then don't pay it...plain and simple.

Anyway, if the OP will give a budget I will give my humble opinion as to what pedal(s) he should be looking at.
                      Noted. And I agree. I don't think I've ever heard a good OUTPUT tube crunch from a box. If that's what he means by "cranked"

Comment

If you can solder and like a project then General Guitar Gadgets has their BSIAB (brown sound in a box). There might even be a few places that sell them assembled.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                          [U]Hey - just because it costs 350 does not mean it's any good, just that it's expensive.

NO box is worth $1200..
                          yep

Comment

Sorry guys! Busy day

Anyway, Im thinking no more than $60. As far as the tone im after here's a link to something similar. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Promo video for "Ghost Dance" by LITE from "Phantasia" www.transductionrecords.com

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X