banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which tube combo's do you guys like...for under 400 bucks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which tube combo's do you guys like...for under 400 bucks?

we have all had this dilema,you dont want to drag stacks up and down stairs,maybe you dont feel like going and setting up the jam room,yes i am looking for a tube combo amp,for the bed room up stairs,i would like to have some decent wattage and tone,and i would like to spend 3 maybe 4 hundred bucks...2 channels would be nice ,and its gotta have a good clean sound..any suggestions?..i am not locked into one amp maker,just my big amps are peaveys......i do like some gain.
    Last edited by ravendouglas; 05-30-2011, 07:20 AM.
    play louder than the other guy.....

Re: which tube combo's do you guys like...for under 400 bucks?

i use the Marshall Class 5
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
      i use the Marshall Class 5
      thats a 5 watter correct?........can you really get big tone from these low wattage gems?,i think vox has a 7 watt amp.
      Last edited by ravendouglas; 05-29-2011, 02:56 PM.

Comment

The Vox Night Train and the Marshall Class 5 are both kick-ass solutions for small, big-sounding all-tube amps.

You're used to solid state amps; you're not gona believe how loud the Class 5 can be.
        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Best thing I've ever found for this purpose is the all-tube Fender Champ 12. They turn up on eBay fairly regular for +/- $300. It's the only amp I've held on to for all these years. Great recording amp, and it takes to pedals very well too.

Comment

Raven, you probably should have mentioned you're mostly into high gain tones.

Comment

Bugera makes some nice high gain combos in that price range.
              Egnater Tweaker
              Jet City
              Blackstar
              Bogner Spider Valve (modeling pre/tube power)
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Is this another " i think i need an HRD" thread?
                "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Howdy,

I'd look for a 70s Champ/Vibro Champ. For cash, you'd have a decent chance of bringing one home for $400. Great tone and nearly indefinite service life-compared to today's PCB jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by eggman View Post
                    Howdy,

I'd look for a 70s Champ/Vibro Champ. For cash, you'd have a decent chance of bringing one home for $400. Great tone and nearly indefinite service life-compared to today's PCB jobs.
                    I just picked up a 70s champ for $225 shipped. However, they are starting to go for stupid money these days. A saw a few sell for over $500, but the average seems to be about $300.

Regardless of the price they are pretty solid amps and fairly easy to service if anything ever craps out. Doesn't hurt that they sound great too.

If you are looking for something that you can crank, but still keep relatively low volume check out the Vox Ac4 line. They are switchable from 1/4 watt, 1 watt, and 5 watts. They come in combo with an 8" speaker or 10" speaker and a head/cab with 12" speaker.
                    Last edited by ericmeyer4; 05-29-2011, 06:19 PM.

Comment

pro junior

Comment

Carvin Vintage 16

great Cleans

Peavey Vypr tube series sounded good at GC a few months ago
                        EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

SF vibro champ

Comment

Originally posted by Stef View Post
                            pro junior
                            Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
                            SF vibro champ
                            Both of these are good. I also rec. a used HRD/Deville/or anything else in that line.
                            Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
                            Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                              The Vox Night Train and the Marshall Class 5 are both kick-ass solutions for small, big-sounding all-tube amps.

You're used to solid state amps; you're not gona believe how loud the Class 5 can be.
                              yeah ,but im a tuber now....lol.......no s.s. amps for me now that i have the 2 big peavey 6l6 powered heads.

Comment

Working...
                              X