Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do you figure out amp mods?

Originally posted by Jakek5150 View Post
    Well, actually, after thinking for a bit, why wouldn't people just buy an EQ pedal instead? I'm probably missing something there, but I've also heard that you can get some more gain out of an amp with the EQ (and gain seems to be a common reason for modding). It seems logical to just buy an MXR EQ for around $80-$120 and make adjustments to the tone with that than pay alot more to get it modified.
    You may find that gain is what you actually need LESS of. A lot of tones use less gain than you think. Try dialing back and missing with the eq some.

Or try a speaker swap.
    Originally posted by grumptruck
    No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
    Originally posted by Gear Used
    PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
    Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
    Mesa Stiletto Ace
    Gurus 5015
    Mesa Widebody 1X12
    Pedalboard

Comment

Originally posted by mwalluk View Post
      Or try a speaker swap.
      This. Once I get the money, I'm hoping to swap out at least 2 of the V30s in my cab for Greenbacks.
      GuitarStv: O.o

Comment

Start here:

Comment

Originally posted by Jakek5150 View Post
          Well, actually, after thinking for a bit, why wouldn't people just buy an EQ pedal instead? I'm probably missing something there, but I've also heard that you can get some more gain out of an amp with the EQ (and gain seems to be a common reason for modding). It seems logical to just buy an MXR EQ for around $80-$120 and make adjustments to the tone with that than pay alot more to get it modified.

Changing the EQ with a pedal infront of the amp is different than changing the tone stack of the amp. A EQ pedal in front of an amp can be a cool way to target specific frequencies to be boosted.

Glassman hit it right when he said that you need to identify what exact change you want. Seems more like you want to tinker. If thats what your after pick up one of the cheaper kit amps around and have fun building and tinkering to your hearts content.

Too many times I see people get amp mods they dont even really want cause they think the amp tech will sprinkle some magic fairy dust on it and make it magical.
          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Blackstars are not amps to learn modding on, they aren't really good for modding at all. Multiple channels, lot of surface mount parts, not an all tube signal path, they basically are made to be what they are.

Comment

I would usually start with a pedal.... then go from there. Amp mods are for professionals. I am not a pro and I have intentions of becoming one. If I can't fix it with a pedal then the amp isn't right for me.
              "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
              "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Just never allow yourself to get to this point.

Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Hmm, wonder if that guy has written a book?

Comment

I'd say open it up and look around for internal pots that you can tweak with a small plastic-tipped screwdriver. Sometimes these are attached to EQ circuits to tailor the frequencies the front knobs affect, other times they're attached to gain circuits that the front knob affects.

And once in a while you find one that's attached to something that could cause your amp to fry if you turn it too far.

But WTH, it's only money.
                    Originally posted by Brown Note
                    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                    My Blog

Comment

Working...
                    X