banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on the G12H anniversary celestion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on the G12H anniversary celestion?

Thoughts on this? Is it a good speaker in comparison to the G12M? I am getting a bogner alchemist cab and it has these speakers in it and I want to know if it will dramaticly change the voicing of the cab for the better if I change the anniversary. This may sound dumb but I have not heard anything about the anniversary, just the greenback.
    My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
    The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
    Originally posted by CTN
    I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Re: Thoughts on the G12H anniversary celestion?

From what I remember, the G12H is the beefier sounding of the two speakers.

If I did anything, it would possibly be changing the Greenback for a Vin 30. You can't go wrong with any of those 3 speakers.

Overall, I don't think your cabinet warrants any speaker change for now. They chose two great speakers for it.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Okay thanks man.
      My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
      The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
      Originally posted by CTN
      I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
      FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

Yeah, those are both great speakers. With those speakers, I would expect a fairly warm sound overall -- depending on the voicing of the amp, of course -- with relatively early cone breakup, as the Greenback will distort VERY easily and the Anniversary fairly easily.

At the very least, I would give those speakers a chance before planning their replacement. They may or may not be what you ultimately want, but they're quality.
        ---------------------------
        The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Is this a 112, 212 or 412 cab?

If it's a 112 or a 212 you NEED to make sure the overall wattage of the cab is higher than the overall wattage of the amp.

for example, say you have a 212 cab and a 100 watt head. Say the cab has two g12h30s in it (which equals 60 watts total). that would work, but if you play at higher volumes it can cause some damage. If you mix and match speakers, you will always take the lesser watts of the to and double it.
          Originally posted by grumptruck
          No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
          Originally posted by Gear Used
          PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
          Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
          Mesa Stiletto Ace
          Gurus 5015
          Mesa Widebody 1X12
          Pedalboard

Comment

Not sure about the Anniversary model but the Heritage G12H30's are off the hook!
            Donnie
            ---------
            VVT Raptor 60W

Comment

the g12h is a heavy magnet verison of the g12m. louder, more bottom, and more aggressive. great speaker for sure!

one of my favorites, at least the english ones which are what i have. not the new 55hz heritage, the older 75hz before celestion moved production to china

Comment

I've got a non-Heritage G12H30 Anniversary. Also made in china.

Between you and me, I think I might like it better than the (Made in England) Blue I've got in the same cab. At the very least, I'm absolutely certain that I would like the sound I get a lot less, and would have spent a lot more, if I've gone with two Blues instead of mixing it up.
                ---------------------------
                The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

i find the blue to be finicky about what amp they are used with, with the right amp they are magic though. the g12h is a great speaker for a wider variety of amps

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    the g12h is a heavy magnet verison of the g12m. louder, more bottom, and more aggressive. great speaker for sure!

one of my favorites, at least the english ones which are what i have. not the new 55hz heritage, the older 75hz before celestion moved production to china
                    The Heritage series are still made in the UK I beleive.
                    Donnie
                    ---------
                    VVT Raptor 60W

Comment

Y'all are going to laugh, but Mojo has a really nice G12H30 clone that I have used in a lot of amps. I had a couple I had to send back for cone cry, but the vast majority have been really great speakers if you're looking to stick to a budget. They've got a V30 clone as well.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F View Post
                        Y'all are going to laugh, but Mojo has a really nice G12H30 clone that I have used in a lot of amps. I had a couple I had to send back for cone cry, but the vast majority have been really great speakers if you're looking to stick to a budget. They've got a V30 clone as well.
                        I'm not laughing.

seems like a good company decided to make some good products at a lower price to compete with the big dudes.

Comment

I think Weber make a G12H clone?
                          Yeah, most evidence indicates the G12H Annv.. stacks up well , and in many accounts is preferable to the Heritage. The G12H Anniverssary is a well regarded speaker with comparable specs to the original, but being , IIRC brighter , amongst other things.
                          By all accounts, Scumback makes the most accurate reissue of the old late 60's/70's G12H Celestion, although the older late 60's Celestion G12H's that Hendrix played were different, and better , than the mid to late 70's G12H's, and those same mid to late 70's are themselves very sought after, commanding premium prices on the used market, mainly because of the vintage tone, never replicated- not even by the Heritages, but mostly because of how scarce it is to find one that hasn't been rattled to death!

BTW< Mojo makes some good speaks. Their Black Fender Bassman reissue replica speaker is OOP< and kind of scarce, and people saying it was a better Bassman speaker than the current Jensens and Eminences.

I have two late 70's original Celestion G12h 30's in a old Marshall 4x12 Checkerboard cabinet. I am going to put one Anniversaary in the lower right corner to take the shock of the amp voltage ,and to brighten the mix, and then puit one Scumback G12H in the other slot.
                          Many people don't really know an Old marshall JMP BEGS for G12H'30's to sound its best. many people not liking the sound of the old JMP's compared to the Plexis didnt get it.. Thats what they werer engineered for.
                          Okay TGWIF< come in with your clown shoes and tell me what crap Im saying now.
                          Last edited by MetalManiac; 06-03-2011, 08:04 PM.
                          "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Jimi Hendrix used to use a Marshall bass cab (at the time they were loaded with G12H30-55 bass speakers).

Some of my favorite AC/DC tones were from a JTM45 with KT66s into a G12H30 (unspecified, most likely 75Hz model) loaded cab.

The G12H30-75 is the one meant for guitar, but both work well for guitar. Weber does both variants, and with whatever combo of aging/doping you want. The Celestions are a bit brasher (some say moreso than the originals were when new), which many like.

Amusing how Weber would release his painstaking replication of an out of production speaker and Celestion would then announce their revival of the original. Glad he was around to give them the kick in the pants needed.

Random aside: I'm very curious where things will go with neo speakers, there's been a lot of effort put into duplicating ceramic and alnico magnet speaker tones with neo magnets. There's a few on the market, surprised it hasn't spread to more models than just the Celestion Gold, Eminence's lite series of pro audio & bass speakers, Lil' Texas and EPS-15, and the Weber JBL replicas. Imagine an EVM12L that wasn't backbreaking!
                            Last edited by Despair; 06-03-2011, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X