Dynamic TS style drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynamic TS style drive?

I am looking for a more dynamic TS style drive for my JCM 800. I had an OCD... almost did it, but then on a whim I tried the fulldrive, and when in vintage with mosfet, that is the tightness I liked for my sound.

I know most of you here use drives on top of clean amps and can get them to clean up, but I am pushing my 800 ala zakk. I don't need fendery clean when rolling back, but something that behaves like the ocd with the mid hump of the fulldrive would be awesome.

I have thought about the Box o rock, but that is a distortion, and don't know if it is ok for pushing an already cookin marshall. I am fortunate that there are a few gigs around my area that let us all play way too loud lol.

Maybe that plim soul?
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Re: Dynamic TS style drive?

BoR will give you great tone but it's far and away from anything TS-like

Tons of Screamer copies out there man...try a Route 808 or a Green Rhino.

and you said Zakk Wylde...I think he might use some sort of overdriver pedal...
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I know there are a lot of TS stuff. I am looking for one that is as dynamic as an OCD. Amp like response I guess. The fulldrive does not do that.
      Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

The 2 things just don't jive...lots of dynamic dirt boxes out there and loads of TS style pedals but the TS style just doesn't lend itself to being very dynamic...
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

have you tried a regular ts9?
          Originally posted by gibson175
          metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

You want a Lava Box. "Has the Grit of the TS-9", but with dynamics...;
            I really love the Lava Box, and it does everything they say here IMO;

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.
            "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
              The 2 things just don't jive...lots of dynamic dirt boxes out there and loads of TS style pedals but the TS style just doesn't lend itself to being very dynamic...
              thanks for chiming in. I was afraid of this. I liked the OCD, but as my board grew I didn't want the impedence issues, and frankly, it wasn't as tight as the fulldrive for my aplication.

I tried a rat, it was awesome, but again I can't clean it up.

I havn't liked any Duncan boxes I've tried. I had a tweak, and imho, it was lame. The TT classic for me was too classic... I guess I can try the Lava.

Comment

I have actually been entertaining the idea of trying something different for a metal/hard rock thing... maybe limiting myself to a fuzz face and riding my volume knob. I have done it alone with cool results, but never with band practice. Don't get more dynamic than these, and I use my fuzz with my other group...

Comment

i know what you mean about both the ocd and the fulldrive and their differences. You can make the fulldrive more dynamic by using the comp cut mode of course - and given that you have a nice marshall it is a good option so you get your crunch from the preamp tubes, but the mid boost of the fulltone. I dont know if you have explored that option very far?
                  I like ocds too, but i dont really think they are best suited to marshalls. i think they work best as a stand alone drive sound into a clean fender type amp because of their wide frequency response. Whereas the fulldrive being a ts based pedal works better when driving the preamp into saturation (using whatever mode you like the best). However i guess my taste is different to yours in that respect - and i guess you like the grit from the ocd pedal into the marshall but youd like more mid boost on tap.
                  So - a nice option you may like to to try (and the one that has replaced my ocd), is the GT500. It has a nice flexible boost/low gain od side which is great for tailoring the eq response and attack to fit your amp - brilliant for a marshall and its way less compressed than a ts. It also has a killer crunch side with an extremely flexible 3 band eq - so you can dial in epic amounts of mid if thats what you want. It also works brilliantly (like the ocd) in terms of how it responds to picking attack and use of your guitar volume knob. Like the ocd it is very natural sounding, but it has a little more crunch on tap and that amazing eq section. Between that and the boost side, you will have plenty of tonal/crunch/boost options with your 800.
                  i have a MKIII marshall 900 (kinda like a souped up 800 master volume) and it works great with the fulldrive (i really like the mxr classic od too) - so i have a pretty good idea about what kind of sounds you are getting with your 800. I have a fulldrive and a GT500 as permanent fixtures on my board because they cover everything i need thru any amp with just a few twists of the knobs to fit the amp. The ocd and a booster has been replaced by the GT.
                  Last edited by Chickenwings; 05-31-2011, 08:00 PM.
                  "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

ds1
                    sd1
                    mxr eq

Comment

Originally posted by xxxplorer View Post
                      thanks for chiming in. I was afraid of this. I liked the OCD, but as my board grew I didn't want the impedence issues, and frankly, it wasn't as tight as the fulldrive for my aplication.

I tried a rat, it was awesome, but again I can't clean it up.

I havn't liked any Duncan boxes I've tried. I had a tweak, and imho, it was lame. The TT classic for me was too classic... I guess I can try the Lava.
                      Can't clean up a Rat?!

I think a Rat is one of the more dynamic old school pedals out there...

Which Rat did you have??
                      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I have actually been entertaining the idea of trying something different for a metal/hard rock thing... maybe limiting myself to a fuzz face and riding my volume knob. I have done it alone with cool results, but never with band practice. Don't get more dynamic than these, and I use my fuzz with my other group...
                        I can and do go through whole rehearsals and even gigs with a Fuzz Face and a wah...nothing more dynamic than a good FF IMHO however there is nothing TS like about it.

Comment

I didn't even see that you had it mentioned in your first post and I have not tried it yet but the Plim Soul is supposed to be similar to what you are asking about...

Comment

Yeah, I couldn't get my Rat to clean up... maybe my humbuggies are too hot? I know ff are nothing like a TS, but with the volume rolled back I get a good

Comment

Yeah, I couldn't get my Rat to clean up... maybe my humbuggies are too hot? I know ff are nothing like a TS, but with the volume rolled back I get a good
                              Overdrivish sound... I will play with it.

I don't care much for the flat or the comp cut for what I'm doing. When playing into the low input, it can be neat, but who plays a JCM into the low input? hehe.

I will have to check out the GT-500. I almost got that just because it looks so versitile and you can change which goes before the other.

Does the boost side have a mid punch? I like the mid punch on a TS to tighten up my riffs. Can the distortion side mimic an overdrive sound?

Comment

Working...
                              X