Dayum, my rig sounds good.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dayum, my rig sounds good.

My bassist son has had a friend over all weekend, who came equipped with a nice new Blacktop Jaguar. Fun guitar, once I tightende the output jack and added a string tree to keep the G from popping out of the nut slot (even though the slot is deeper than the entire string diameter.)

Anyway, I told the guys they could borrow my amp. However, since they don't really know how to take care of a tube amp, I bypassed the attenuator, and told the kid he had to keep the volume down. This made the amp kinda clean, so I said he could pick one of my spare dirt boxes, from which he selected a DS-1 with Monte Allums Recto mod.

Dang, it sounds good. I seldom get to sit back and listen to it without playing. The Recto DS through the 18 watter (with its Classic Lead 80 speaker) is a great rock sound. Maybe too good for "Blitzkrieg Bop", which is what they're working on now.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Re: Dayum, my rig sounds good.

That's really cool, ha ha. I never get to hear my rig unless I'm playing it, and of course I think it sounds great too. I'm a big Ramones fan so I think I know what you mean.
    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Awesome man. Even cooler your son shares the hobby with you!
      Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Update: One of my son's friends talked him into starting a "metalcore" band. I spent the weekend listening to them bashing out the same original over and over. The guitar player was playing a stickered-and-paint-splattered Squier HSS Strat, in (what else?) dropped D.

Considering it's a 13 watt tube amplifier, my little rig does a remarkably good job of bringing the dewms. For reasons of preserving my beloved amp, I insist they keep the attenuator bypassed and the volume control at 1/3. Then, they use the Allums Recto Mod DS-1 with the gain up full to get the dirt. The kids all love the Recto DS-1; this new guitar player brought along his personal Deltalab "Metal Distortion" pedal, but switched to the Recto after about three minutes.

My amp's Classic Lead 80 is a tighter speaker than the usual choices (Blue, Greenback, G12H30) found in normal 18 Watters. The resulting tone is surprisingly good, if you're into that drop-tuned chugging thing.

Which I am not. I have a headache.

P.S. Never give a 14-year-old double kickdrum pedals.
        Last edited by Rich_S; 08-16-2011, 09:44 AM.
        Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
        Rich Stevens

Comment

It's fun to have someone else play your amp and REALLY get to hear what it sounds like. I've been fortunate to have a few great/experienced players that I respect play my stuff and do them justice. I'm no slouch myself, but it's always good when you've got someone who knows how to wring the most out of an amp playing it so you're really able to step back and just listen to what it can do.

BTW... my son plays too. And I've been tempted to plug him into the Bogner or VHT, but he's really not at a level yet where'd he'd really understand the difference between those and his Line 6. Would be like putting a newly-licensed driver in the left seat of a Ferrari.
          "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

It would be glorious to have a player that was as good as me or better to come play my guitars / pedals / amps.

It would be hugely fun to hear.
            my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

I bet that if every time I wanted to buy a different amp or a new pedal or something, Eric Gales walked through the door and plugged in for 3 minutes, I would never buy another piece of gear as long as I lived
              my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
                I bet that if every time I wanted to buy a different amp or a new pedal or something, Eric Gales walked through the door and plugged in for 3 minutes, I would never buy another piece of gear as long as I lived
                Sure would save a LOT of wasted money and time!

It's not like I don't appreciate the capabilities and quality of tone in my amps, but I've heard some GREAT tones and playing through MUCH lesser gear.
                "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
                  It would be glorious to have a player that was as good as me or better to come play my guitars / pedals / amps.

It would be hugely fun to hear.
                  I concur. I love listening to how other people play on my gear or gear of lesser quality and yet still can sound amazing. It inspires (and depresses to a certain extent) me.
                  "The amp has been making a lot of noise and acting funky, perhaps it may be aware of the amount of rock it's about to be punished with" ~GearMannDude
                  "30 days of dating doesn't seem like cheating. It seems like legitimate playing the field, and you happened to catch a pop fly..." ~Aceman
                  "If all else fails, wank, fall asleep, come back to it the next day." ~GuitarStv
                  "The crowd has no perception of tone...only timing and flow." ~Glassman

Comment

most ppl who plug into my rig sound like a bucket of ****!
                    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                      most ppl who plug into my rig sound like a bucket of ****!
                      Like when I plug into any Bogner.
                      Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                      Rich Stevens

Comment

I am with you guys.. I wish I could heae someone with my style of playing rip through my new setup.. Although I am still experimenting.. So still not 100% finished.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
                          Update: One of my son's friends talked him into starting a "metalcore" band.
                          ABORT

ABORT

ABORT

VISIT RECORD STORE AND PURCHASE GOO BY SONIC YOUTH, BLEACH BY NIRVANA, YOU'RE LIVING ALL OVER ME BY DINOSAUR JR. AND LOVELESS BY MY BLOODY VALENTINE

THERE IS STILL HOPE THAT HE WILL NOT BE RIDICULED AT MUSIC STORES

seriously though, metalcore is kind of a dead genre... but this could be harmless. unless he says something like METALCORE is my life, let's turn a blind eye and let the guy have some fun.

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
                            ABORT

ABORT

ABORT

VISIT RECORD STORE AND PURCHASE GOO BY SONIC YOUTH, BLEACH BY NIRVANA, YOU'RE LIVING ALL OVER ME BY DINOSAUR JR. AND LOVELESS BY MY BLOODY VALENTINE

THERE IS STILL HOPE THAT HE WILL NOT BE RIDICULED AT MUSIC STORES

seriously though, metalcore is kind of a dead genre... but this could be harmless. unless he says something like METALCORE is my life, let's turn a blind eye and let the guy have some fun.
                            What if he wants to get into Melodic Metalcore? Or Nintendocore? (what kind of idiots think up these genres?)
                            "The amp has been making a lot of noise and acting funky, perhaps it may be aware of the amount of rock it's about to be punished with" ~GearMannDude
                            "30 days of dating doesn't seem like cheating. It seems like legitimate playing the field, and you happened to catch a pop fly..." ~Aceman
                            "If all else fails, wank, fall asleep, come back to it the next day." ~GuitarStv
                            "The crowd has no perception of tone...only timing and flow." ~Glassman

Comment

Originally posted by Markk View Post
                              What if he wants to get into Melodic Metalcore? Or Nintendocore? (what kind of idiots think up these genres?)
                              My thoughts exactly. I just call 'em all screamo lol.
                              Originally posted by TheLivingDead
                              H-S guitars with floyds make me erect.
                              Originally posted by jcthejester13
                              I'm pretty sure it's like nailing twins. They are identical but feel totally different.

Comment

Working...
                              X