The greatest Marshall tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The greatest Marshall tone

Out of all the Marshall players in the world, I would have to say that Michael Schenker has THE greatest Marshall tone. I want to know how he gets his sound. I've read that he used an MXR distortion plus with a JCM 800 50w head and high powered Gibson pickups. I also read conflicting reports that he used G12T75's or Greenbacks.

In my mind and according to the kind of music I like, I would rate the best Marshall tone in the world like so:

1. Michael Schenker
    2. Eric Johnson
    3. Joe Bonamassa
    4. Joe Satriani
    5. Motorhead
    6. Classic EVH
    7. Adrian Smith
    8. Slash
    9. Richie Blackmore
    10. Jimi Hendrix

Before anyone tries to flame me, I'll tell you that this is MY personal list of what Marshall tones I prefer. The order of my personal list might change from time to time depending on who I'm into at the time.

Some of you might also complain that I didn't mention Jimmy Page. Well, like I said, this is MY personal preference list. Jimmy page always sounded too sloppy for me to ever appreciate his tone, but I admit that I don't listen to too much Led Zepplin. Randy Rhoades is one of my favorite players of all time, but it was his playing and not his tone that I love.

What Marshall tones do you love the most? If anyone has some insight into how some of these players got their sound then please contribute.

Re: The greatest Marshall tone

Paul Kossoff.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
      Paul Kossoff.
      +1.

And UMDood don't forget what Jimi had in front of that marshall....
      Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
      Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Michael has and had a very simple setup...
        A proof that the tone is in the fingers...

Comment

I don't know if this is the greatest - but it is certainly a definitive/classic Marshall tone:

Ace Frehley - KISS Alive
          and I have to also throw Angus Young out there...

However, from your list:

EVH - That doesn't sound like any Marshall I have ever heard.

Eric Johnson - Also too effected to be true Marshall tone. Great tone - but doesn't scream Marshall to me.

Hendrix - Hard call. Lot's of Fuzz Face...

However - Kossoff, Slash, and Smith, oh yeah!
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

PRIEST and MAIDEN!

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
              I don't know if this is the greatest - but it is certainly a definitive/classic Marshall tone:

Ace Frehley - KISS Alive
              and I have to also throw Angus Young out there...

However, from your list:

EVH - That doesn't sound like any Marshall I have ever heard.

Eric Johnson - Also too effected to be true Marshall tone. Great tone - but doesn't scream Marshall to me.

Hendrix - Hard call. Lot's of Fuzz Face...

However - Kossoff, Slash, and Smith, oh yeah!
              I kind of agree about EVH but I always thought that was just from his unique technique. Eric Johnson uses a lot of effects, but his lead tone is pretty straight forward, which is a tube driver in front of a 50w plexi and a little delay from a Memory Man. Also, Hendrix didn't always use the fuzz. Even though without it his tone was cleanish, I love the sound of cranked plexis. I never heard a good enough recording of Kossoff to appreciate his tone.

Comment

tough list to make.

A lot of amazing players used marshalls and got fantastic tones... I don't want to try to list them in order of importance, but the ones floating my boat these days are:

Blackmore w/ Deep Purple
                Maiden
                Jake E. Lee in Badlands

and

umm

these guys:

-Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
                  Paul Kossoff.
                  This is the correct answer

Comment

Eric Clapton on the Beano album is the original and should be in at least the top three.
                    Originally posted by tone4days
                    we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

For me my all time favorite is Randy Rhoads. Everytime I hear the tribute album I am blown away by his playing and tone.

Mick Ronson had some gnarly tone as well, good healthy dosing of it in this vid. I dig his style as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p79JKclG-oc
                      Last edited by My96z; 07-28-2011, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Is hendrix's tone marshall anyway?
                        Are you experienced was all done on a fender dual showman.
                        SO was a lot of stuff on subsequent albums.

Van Halen was fo sho marshall....just totally overworked marshalls that had little in common with factory amps of the day.

ACDC i reckon are pretty definitive for marshall crunch sounds tho and deserve to be on the list.

So does clapton from bluesbreakers onward.
                        Last edited by Chickenwings; 07-27-2011, 08:35 AM.
                        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Although his amps are highly modified (they still sound like Marshalls) the best Marshall tone I've ever heard in person was Doug Aldrich live with Whitesnake a few years back........Holy Cow!
                          Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
                          "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

For me, it is :

1st) Clutch - just listen to Elephant Riders.
                            2nd) Malcolm Young
                            3rd) Page
                            Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

I'm pretty certain the Free Forever DVD includes footage of Paul Kossoff playing through some non-Marshall amps (Orange?) and he still sounds the same (i.e. awesome).

It's not just a cliche - it really was in his fingers!

Comment

Working...
                              X