Peavey Amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Amps

I have played through alot of Peavey stuff lately and probably every Vypyr they make including the tube 60 version. My question is, who likes these and can get useful distorted tones out of them?

To my ears, they sound rather fizzy/grainy and I'm not sure its limited to the vypyr stuff. The Valveking sounds just like the Vypyr and I could swear I was hearing it in the 6505+ combo I demoed as well.

Re: Peavey Amps

I've have never liked the Valveking, the gain channel just sounds loose and fizzy/grainy like you said and I can't stand it. I've only play 1 or 2 Vypyrs but a guy I know well gigs with one of the tube models and I don't really care for his tone much. I do like the Classic series/Delta Blues amps and I like the Windsors. (I use to have a Delta Blues 1x15 and I still own a Windsor stack.) I've never played a 6505+ so I can't comment on that.
    Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Comment

I have an old 5150 combo that I love, but every modern Peavey amp I try on the occasional trip to the music shops hasn't impressed me.

not to hijack, but does Peavey make anything in the US anymore? have they totally shifted manufacturing to China?

Comment

Originally posted by rotting casket View Post
        I have an old 5150 combo that I love, but every modern Peavey amp I try on the occasional trip to the music shops hasn't impressed me.

not to hijack, but does Peavey make anything in the US anymore? have they totally shifted manufacturing to China?
        I think the 6505s, 3120s, and XXX IIs are U.S. made yet.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

I love my 6505, I don't hear the fizz.....

Comment

Stock JSX amps sound great as long as you don't try to raise the gain above Ultra 5. Then it's feedback and noisy hissy ****E.

The JSX gives clean and mid-gain GOLD, but I had to get a mod for high-gain goodness.
            Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
            Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
            Originally posted by Sosomething
            "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

I finally tried out a 6505+ the other day - sounded fantastic.
              Custom neck-thru strat
              1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
              1995 PRS CE24
              D'avanzo #8
              Breedlove Solo Concert
              1996 USA Dean Baby Z
              1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
              1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
              Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
                I finally tried out a 6505+ the other day - sounded fantastic.
                Now might be a great time to get one. I was at GC yesterday and they were 550 bucks for the combo, with a special going of 100 bucks off of any purchase over $499. My poor math skills tell me thats about 450 bucks.

Comment

my only beef with the combo is that compared to the head, its 2 more preamp tubes INSTEAD of two POWER tubes. But dont get a Vypyr, unconvincing in a live setting- not a legit sound. if the combo sounds good to you, fine , but try turning the MASTER vol all the way up and use the gain knob as a volume to see if the PoWER tubes are as crunchy as u need. Because for that price, u cd be crankin a Peavey Classic 30 with a pedal and get pro type of clarity. but if u want modern mayhem, ignore that. good luck, peavey tube amps- thumbs up

Comment

PVs and their fans are just awful except for all the examples I've owned and the coolest fan I've ever met (who is me), but those and me aren't really the focus here. A 6505+ is a fave. Peavey's got 5 metric tonnes of good new models every year, but yes some of these mentioned are bedroom fartboxes by design for the bedroom fartbox demographic. Me, I prefer Roland Cubes if I wanted the models of the Vypyr for the $$ buck-bang, and there are lots of alternatives to the Valveking, and cheaper.
                    Last edited by PVFan; 07-31-2011, 09:28 AM.
                    tele / wolfie
                    pittbull 50cl
                    greenbacks

Comment

Classic Series are Made in USA.

Classic 20 and VTM-60 owner...

Comment

Peavey amps I know and love:

My OLD Classic (1979) - 50 watts of awesome. Took pedals really well. Killer verb/trem.

Older Peavey Transtubes - 1st/2nd series - AMAZING gritty in-between breakup, lot's of sound sculpt options. Good cleans. Just all around great amps

Peavey Bandits from nearly any Era - One bad@$$ mofo workhorse amp.

Peavey Classic 20's and 30's - Kick Blues Jr's @$$ six different ways from Sunday, IMO.

Peavey 5150 - One sound pretty much, but an effing fantastic sound. This would probably be my sig amp. This includes 6505's assorted models of 5150. I'm not as peculiar on the models as lots of dudes. They all rock to me.
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Love my XXX head, stock tubes are bland and a major price point consideration. They are also biased fairly cold out of the box which adds to fizziness. Re-tube and a proper bias and then see what you think.

Never played a VK though I have heard some good things out of them, I did have a Windsor and it was a great amp.
                          My Bands -
                          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

i have a 3120, the fizziness comes from the huge amount of pre-amp gain which is easily fixed with a lower gain 12ax7 in V1..the amp now has a much more usable sweep to the gain control especially at lower volumes...

Comment

yep don't dig em, I hear the same thing you do. 5150's don't really have it but that's not 100% their design so it doesn't count.
                              Originally posted by gibson175
                              metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Working...
                              X