Marshall AFD is freaking awesome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marshall AFD is freaking awesome

I am getting built a hot rodded plexi 50W (EL34s), with 4 preamp valves, regular 2 channel plexi, with a 68 Plexi preamp and all. And using a footswitch, I'd be able to get another channel, precisely the 2203 SIR #34 channel. The amp is gonna be done in two weeks or so, a close buddy of mine is doing anyways... Am not in a hurry.

Here are some pics:

That'd be my Slash amp...

B
    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
      I am getting built a hot rodded plexi 50W (EL34s), with 4 preamp valves, regular 2 channel plexi, with a 68 Plexi preamp and all. And using a footswitch, I'd be able to get another channel, precisely the 2203 SIR #34 channel. The amp is gonna be done in two weeks or so, a close buddy of mine is doing anyways... Am not in a hurry.

Here are some pics:

That'd be my Slash amp...

B
      That sounds cool. I'd like to see it and hear it when it's complete.

Comment

Absolutely awesome Doc...Nice looking work throughout the internals of the amp also..
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I finally got to play through the AFD100 at GC Sherman Oaks. It sounds remarkably close to my 50W Jubilee. The AFD/#34 switch does a good job of restructuring the gain, and the attenuation works great. I noticed when it sounds like the Jubilee, the knobs are in different settings, like running the treble low for example.

Overall, it's a great sounding highgain Marshall, pretty much like putting a Classic OD in front of a JCM 800. But it sounds richer at lower volume levels.

I wonder about it's reliability, since it's got a lot of extra circuitry and probably has board mounted everything. It's pricey at $2000 +, but it'll prove to be a great collectible that sounds good and has a good reputation for it's tone.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
            I finally got to play through the AFD100 at GC Sherman Oaks. It sounds remarkably close to my 50W Jubilee. The AFD/#34 switch does a good job of restructuring the gain, and the attenuation works great. I noticed when it sounds like the Jubilee, the knobs are in different settings, like running the treble low for example.

Overall, it's a great sounding highgain Marshall, pretty much like putting a Classic OD in front of a JCM 800. But it sounds richer at lower volume levels.

I wonder about it's reliability, since it's got a lot of extra circuitry and probably has board mounted everything. It's pricey at $2000 +, but it'll prove to be a great collectible that sounds good and has a good reputation for it's tone.
            So which do you prefer? I know you have an affinity for the Jubilee, how does the AFD measure up overall in your opinion?
            Hard Rock - gain on 5 - singing about good times.

Heavy Metal - gain on 10 - screaming about something.

---Gearjoneser
            he was trying to convince her to swing.

That's like taking a Ferrari to a mud bog.--Ginormous

Comment

Originally posted by blindedbysilence View Post
              So which do you prefer? I know you have an affinity for the Jubilee, how does the AFD measure up overall in your opinion?
              I'd really have to have both sitting side by side to hear all the nuances.

The AFD has some nice features like the attenuator and auto biasing, but the Jubilee has the ability to footswitch to a clean channel. The AFD has a switchable FX loop, while the Jubilee just has a passive FX loop.

We already know the Jubilee sounds good and has lasted 24 years, known as a reliable amp. As soon as the AFD100 came out, I heard about reliability issues, which they may have addressed.......or it was just tube problems.

Overall, I'd love to have an AFD100 just for the sake of owning it. But, I'd like an YJM100 even more, because it's the flavor of Marshall I like most.
              The AFD is a beefed up 800 and the YJM is a beefed up MKII Superlead.

Comment

uber if the AFD impressed you wait till you try a YJM plexi!
                BEST marshall to come out in years!

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Hunter View Post
                  uber if the AFD impressed you wait till you try a YJM plexi!
                  BEST marshall to come out in years!
                  I agree. Based on everything I've heard and seen, the YJM looks like one of the best Marshalls ever made......at least for heavy rock.

I really want one, but $2500 means it's not happening unless I sell my Matchless Chieftain. And I doubt you'll see many used ones floating around.
                  Last edited by Gearjoneser; 08-15-2011, 07:12 PM.

Comment

MAP pricing on the AFD is $1999, and the YJM is $2499.

I have no desire to mess with the AFD, but I would not mind checking out the YJM.
                    -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Working...
                    X