Rig rebuild...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rig rebuild...

I was asked about my new rig since I mentioned it in another thread so I took some pics and here's the info...

I sold off a few amps and modlers, a few guitars and a bunch of pedals and rebuilt my rig from the ground up for the most part. New smaller, simpler pedalboard, a 3rd Splawn 4x12 cab and it's set up wet/dry/wet where I can use the JMP or 3120.

The rack is real simple with the PQ3 into the JMP only, no need for it with the 3120. Awesome 80s metal tones from that combo. Way better than any OD pedal I tried with the JMP. The Nova Drive was close but the ability to tweak the tone so much on the PQ3 made it hard to beat when looking for more gain from my JMP.

The dry center Splawn cab has an X of H30s and V30s and the outer two wet cabs have all V30s.

I tried a ton of pedals, I must have bought, sold, returned, built and modified more drive pedals, chorus pedals, phasers and other stuff just to end up being happy with a board that's pretty much all from the MXR/Dunlop/Way Huge family. Not that I'm complaining, I love that company!

The trick was finding a boost pedal that worked with the 3120 and with the PQ3 into JMP as a bit of a lead boost. Obviously it being already pushed to metal territory with the PQ3 meant a typical OD pedal would be a bit too aggressive. Thus why the Pork Loin was perfect being a mild boost for the PQ3+JMP and a perfect boost to push the 3120 on the gain channel also.

Anyway, enough babble, pics are what you're here for...

G30 > Custom Comp > Octave > Wah > Pork > Tuner > Phase 90 > Flanger > Chorus > Rack
    The small pedal below the wah is a channel switch I built for the 3120. The Midi Mouse controls the Echo Pro.

The blank space will either be replaced with a head switcher so I can quickly go from head to head instead of unplugging stuff like I do now or it and the Echo Pro will go and be replaced with an Axe II for use on its own and for delay/verb for when used w/d/w with the JMP or 3120.

All of it is BEYOND ridiculous for someone who doesn't gig but who cares, it sounds killer and is FUN as hell to play though. Thankfully I don't have to play at bedroom volume and can crank it as loud as I want or it would be even more crazy.

Thinking I may swap the compressor out and put a tremolo at the end of the chain. Just need to find the right tremolo pedal since the last one I tried sucked. It was typical over hyped on the forums boutique stuff that got promptly returned the day I got it. I'll just go with the MXR or a TR2 I think.

-Mike
    www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Re: Rig rebuild...

That is as neat as it gets man! Looking Good!

Comment

Cool Eye Candy. You're gonna get the clap;

"Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Forget the pics, looks the same as ever - I wanna HEAR IT!
        my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

You have good taste in pedals, sir. I'm a big MXR/Way Huge fan myself, but you wouldn't know it from looking at my board (I have the Micro Flanger).

What do you like about the Custom Comp? I'm very curious about that one.
          Band: www.colouredanimal.com
          Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
          Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

start a damn band already
            Originally posted by gibson175
            metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Sorry Immortal, no way to properly record it. Heck I wouldn't even know where to start in micing a w/d/w setup. I don't own 1 mic let alone the 3 or more it would take to capture it all.

Ratherdashing...the Custom Comp is actually my first comp outside of modelers so I honestly have nothing to compare it to. The great bonus (aside from typical clean channel use) I found is it helps the Bass Octave Deluxe which already tracks great track even better.

drew...maybe one of these days I will. However I wouldn't use this monster rig live, I'd just use the board with a delay added and a 1/2 stack. A rig like this is only practical for home use, studio use or big touring acts. It's a bit overkill for the typical bar gig that's for sure.
              www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Great rig! Those Splawn cabs are awesome.
                "After I die I shall return to earth as the doorkeeper of a bordello and I won't let a one of you in." -Arturo Toscanini

Comment

Pure awesomeness right there. Looks great, shame about not being able to record a sound or two
                  "The amp has been making a lot of noise and acting funky, perhaps it may be aware of the amount of rock it's about to be punished with" ~GearMannDude
                  "30 days of dating doesn't seem like cheating. It seems like legitimate playing the field, and you happened to catch a pop fly..." ~Aceman
                  "If all else fails, wank, fall asleep, come back to it the next day." ~GuitarStv
                  "The crowd has no perception of tone...only timing and flow." ~Glassman

Comment

Derail: Shouldn't the pink strap be on the pink guitar?
                    Originally posted by Brown Note
                    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                    My Blog

Comment

That just seemed like a bit too much pink. So I did the "logical" thing and stuck the pink strap on the most absurd color guitar to make things a bit more wild looking.
                      www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

With all the options Splawn has for tolexs, why'd you choose two black cabs? Just trying to keep everything uniform looking?

I love that snakeskin Splawn tho...it screams Warren DeMartini!

Seeing your setup kinda makes me wish I hadn't sold my Splawn, you always have some really cool stuff goin on Mike.
                        77 Gibson Les Paul Custom (70's DiMarzios)
                        Gibson Les Paul (Duncan Distortion, Pearly Gates)
                        Fuchs Blackjack 21
                        -Fuchs Plush Cream
                        -Boss DD7 Delay

Comment

The black Splawn cab under the 3120 was the first one I bought new back in 2007 or so and it was black with silver pipe to match the Engl Powerball I had at the time. Then I stumbled across the snakeskin one used in like new condition so I bought that. I had a matching snakeskin 5150 with it for a while. The middle cab was dumb luck that I came across in proper Marshall looking colors to match my JMP, again used but like new. So I never picked the colors aside from the first one to match the powerball since the others weren't bought new.

A random color cab and a black head on it would look quite odd, I wouldn't do that. I'm too OCD about details like that to let a miss match like that slide. It's bad enough to me that the pipe on the 3120s cab is silver and the head has gold accents.

If I was to buy a Splawn head and cab today odds are they'd be red.
                          www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Mike do you have a maid come clean your gear room. I`m betting there`s not a spec of dust in there.
                            When asking for pickup suggestions please tell us what amp you`re using

Comment

Nah, no cleaning lady. I'm just a bit of a clean freak and work hard for what I have so I take the best care of it all I can. There's a swiffer duster under my desk. not kidding. I won't deny even swiffering my pedalboard from time to time.

Don't get me wrong I'm also part slob, there are papers and magazines all over my desk right now but there's no dirt or dust that's for sure. Odds are I'll get sick of looking at this desktop mess and clean it now that I mentioned it.
                              www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Working...
                              X