where to buy reel-to-reel tapes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to buy reel-to-reel tapes?

I picked up a 4 channel Kenwood KW6044 for doing some cassette bouncing if I wanted to for 20 bucks at goodwill. I was wondering where a good place to buy tapes for this is...

Thanks
    Marc
    Originally posted by kilphody
    There is no such thing as useless knowledge.

Re: where to buy reel-to-reel tapes?

For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.

my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Re: where to buy reel-to-reel tapes?

Originally posted by cream123 View Post
      I picked up a 4 channel Kenwood KW6044 for doing some cassette bouncing if I wanted to for 20 bucks at goodwill. I was wondering where a good place to buy tapes for this is...

Thanks
      Marc
      That's not a 4 channel tape deck.

It is a quad deck, yes, but it doesn't have 4 discrete channels. Just like quad vinyl, it only has two tracks but the other two channels are encoded on top of it, rather than being their own separate tracks.

So what you have there is really a 1/4" 2 track deck.

You have to be careful with buying tape off eBay because a lot of old tape is prone to sticky shed.

Do you know anything about cleaning and alignment of tape machines? Is the belt any good? Did you power it up and see if the motor spins? Have you done any testing at all? If that deck has been sitting for years you might be in for more trouble than it's worth.

You can buy tape from http://www.atrtape.com, but I'd hold off on that for now.
      "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so." ~ Ford Prefect

Comment

Working...
      X