banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of building an amp head with a friend.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of building an amp head with a friend.....

So my buddy and I are thinking of building a two channel amp, The clean channel would be based off of the fender bassman and the dirt channel would be based off of a Boss HM2, We both have been using the HM2 so much that we thought it might be worth a try...

Looking at 40 to 60 watts, no real bells and whistles, we may do reverb.....

what does everyone think of this? Think we could pull it off???

Re: Thinking of building an amp head with a friend.....

not as a first try, start with a bassman by the numbers and add a HM2. I tried to start with a 2 channel and had to gut it and start over
    I Build My own Guitars
    know duncan...know tone
    no duncan...no tone
    Originally posted by Warheart
    First problem right there! letting drummers write lyrics!

Comment

Originally posted by tonefreak1527 View Post
      not as a first try, start with a bassman by the numbers and add a HM2. I tried to start with a 2 channel and had to gut it and start over
      My friend has built a couple of one channels before, both bassman copies......

Comment

Maybe I'm just not getting where you're going with this but I just don't see the point in basing the second channel on a pedal, especially a little boss one. Why not just build the single channel, with maybe an onboard boost or something? Then you can add the HM-2 in front, anyway.

If I was building a dual channel amp, I'd probably try to base the second channel on a different amp, not a readily available stomp-box. Something along the lines of a Super Sonic, or something.

Sounds like a really cool project, anyway. Be sure to post progress and pics!
        I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
          Maybe I'm just not getting where you're going with this but I just don't see the point in basing the second channel on a pedal, especially a little boss one. Why not just build the single channel, with maybe an onboard boost or something? Then you can add the HM-2 in front, anyway.

If I was building a dual channel amp, I'd probably try to base the second channel on a different amp, not a readily available stomp-box. Something along the lines of a Super Sonic, or something.

Sounds like a really cool project, anyway. Be sure to post progress and pics!
          The main reason we are basing the second channel off the hm2 is just how much love there is for the pedal, people really care about it; We figured if the tube screamer deserves an amp than so does the HM2, I mean the HM2 has it's own Facebook page, that's big!

Comment

Originally posted by LatsMcGee View Post
            The main reason we are basing the second channel off the hm2 is just how much love there is for the pedal, people really care about it; We figured if the tube screamer deserves an amp than so does the HM2, I mean the HM2 has it's own Facebook page, that's big!
            Yeah, the Ibanez amp crossed my mind as I read this thread but when that amp came out, I had the same reaction as I had to your plans. I think their reason was more marketing. I didn't even know Ibanez made amps, so adding the TS name kinda gave them a lot more credibility, at least in my eyes. I would still prefer just to have a killer single channel amp and run a TS through it, if I wanted to.

Still, as a tribute sort of thing, I can dig it. I can more clearly see where you're coming from now. It's not the way I personally would do it, but I can't fault your reasoning.

Best of luck with it.
            I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
              Yeah, the Ibanez amp crossed my mind as I read this thread but when that amp came out, I had the same reaction as I had to your plans. I think their reason was more marketing. I didn't even know Ibanez made amps, so adding the TS name kinda gave them a lot more credibility, at least in my eyes. I would still prefer just to have a killer single channel amp and run a TS through it, if I wanted to.

Still, as a tribute sort of thing, I can dig it. I can more clearly see where you're coming from now. It's not the way I personally would do it, but I can't fault your reasoning.

Best of luck with it.
              Thanks Kam, I think my friend is just happy to have my help with this one, my friend really knows his way around the inside of an amp but he always has me eq his rigs for him....

Comment

Working...
              X