POD HD500 vs POD HD300 my thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POD HD500 vs POD HD300 my thoughts

So I bought an HD500 not too long ago to use in Church (we have always gone direct and the last guitarist HD500 sounded great)
    I didn't want to limit myself from using dual tone or limiting the number or order of effects, and I found an HD500 for $400 open box.
    All was good, until I left that church. I wanted to leave them with something (the piano player often plays guitar and has a strat but nothing to use direct) I left my HD500 for the time being.
    I then found an HD300 for $200 used, so I ordered it. I will put it at the Church and then take my HD500 with me. I figure it will do everything they need anyway.
    So I get the 300 in, and it is much smaller. I like that. i start setting it up, and realize even though according to line 6 you can only add 4 effects, and the 500 can do 8, thats a bit misleading.
    The volume pedal and wah are on every preset. That takes up 2 slots on my 500. I can (and have) moved volume to the amp so it doesn't take a slot though) So now its 4 vs 6 (or possibly 7)
    If you use a noise gate its on every preset as well, and would take a slot on the 500. So thats 4 vs 5. (or possibly 6)
    you get reverb on every patch (and thats counted as 1 effect) so if you dont use reverb then its only 3.

Still, I looked at the patches I was using. I have reverb on my clean patch, and thats it. The 300 will do that. Delay on a drive patch still good. compressor, delay and chorus on a lead patch. Still good.
    I use the amp settings for drive, so I dont need an overdrive on any patch. That saves that spot for volume boost or compressor if its a solo patch. I can also use the modulated delay (instead of delay and chorus), and that would open the modulation spot.

So technically I can have volume pedal, noise gate, wah, reverb, phaser, modulated delay (is that 2 or 1?) and a compressor. Thats really 7 or 8 at the same time. I dont really NEED a 500.
    So what are the advantages (to me)
    1. it will do dual amp - I love the way my recordings sound with a double tracked amp (plexi on one side and jcm800 on the other). But, it isnt the same. for one, its not dual tracked, so you lose the natural delay/reverb/whatever you want to call it from playing the same part twice. Then, I dont ever play in stereo, plus half the church would hear mostly one sound or the other anyway (1/3 in the middle would hear the stereo sound, 1/3 on the left would hear mostly 1 amp, the other 1/3 on the right would hear mostly the other amp) So in reality the dual amp thing is almost useless.
    2. it has more reverbs/effects - Since the slots on the 300 are fixed,they wont put in the really DSP expensive verbs, because that might overload the DSP. Buit that could be an advantage as well, you will not run into the DSP overload issues i run into.
    3. I can run ALL of my sounds in 1 four bank slot - since I can add / remove effects with the 4 stomps above the preset slots, I can make 4 base sounds into at least 8-16 usable patches. Still, unless you need more than 4 sounds on a song, just do a bank for each song. the 300 has 128 presets. the 500 has 512, but I never use more than 4 anyway.
    4. dual tone can be used for 2 guitars at once - you can run 2 guitars in and 2 out with different amps. But its using a lot of DSP so not many effects. plus only 1 pedal (you can add an external though). At the price I paid you could have (2) 300s for the price of (1) 500.
    5. the 500 has a stereo effect loop - Oddly enough, I use this. I do not put any effects in it. Originally I set the 500 up with a foot switch to activate the loop, and put my BF tuner there. Hit the loop, all goes silent and I tune with my external tuner (with Buzz Feiten), but there is a bug in the 500 that causes the loop to be active when in tuning mode. So now I just hit tuner and it does the same thing (without using a foot switch or effect slot)
    6. the 500 can be used as an 8 slot effects only pedal board, mush like an m9 or m13. The 300 will do the same, but with 4 switches, you get amp, then 3 effects. You could still have a preamp in the amp slot for overdrive, and then a delay, phaser and compressor, but this is where the 500 would be a much better option.

there are some other differences, 48 second looper on the 500 (but its still 24 on the 300), variax in and mic in on the 500 (I wont ever use), SPDIF out (wont use),

So I have to say, for 90% of the use these will get, the 300 is more than adequate. Of course we are all the other 10%.......................
    Originally posted by MikeS
    a "career" of playing sold-out bedroom shows to the posters on my wall.
    Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
    whats becoming of this generation
    We want to listen to music while we mow the lawn.

Re: POD HD500 vs POD HD300 my thoughts

Hey this is a very usefull post to me cause I was thinking of going from the 3 to a 5. And I'm pretty to very happy with what I'm getting from the 3. The amp model's being my favorite's. Do not really care for it's delay so added a TC Flashback. May just stay with it and save the dough for the new Wampler SLO.

Comment

This is a good post/thread, because I could never understand why anyone would pay the extra $200, when most players don't even utilize a fraction of what a L6 product is capable of. I guess some like the full spectrum of options, but to me anything that does a bit more than a regular amp is adequate.

And as fast as modelers depreciate or fizzle out, it's hard to throw out big bucks for a few snazzy features like stringing 8 effects together.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I use the 500. I have a variax acoustic, and I use the SPDIF all the time. I need the balanced outs too. I like that I can have any effect in any order, and I am not stuck having 1 effect from every type- if I want 5 delays in a patch, I can do it. So for me, it works. I can also make patches and have a separate signal path for my magnetic and piezo pickups.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Re: Re: POD HD500 vs POD HD300 my thoughts

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          I use the 500. I have a variax acoustic, and I use the SPDIF all the time. I need the balanced outs too. I like that I can have any effect in any order, and I am not stuck having 1 effect from every type- if I want 5 delays in a patch, I can do it. So for me, it works. I can also make patches and have a separate signal path for my magnetic and piezo pickups.
          Thanks Mr 10%
          That's kinda my point. Those who have a use for those features will want the 500. For you those options are priceless.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
          Last edited by Reload in 5; 08-24-2011, 06:28 AM.
          Originally posted by MikeS
          a "career" of playing sold-out bedroom shows to the posters on my wall.
          Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
          whats becoming of this generation
          We want to listen to music while we mow the lawn.

Comment

One drawback of the 300 I don't like is the lack of bank up / band down dedicated stomp buttons. Another is the lack of a loop insertion to place external effect pedal between the preamp and power amp. And lastly the inability to calibrate the onboard tuner away from standard 440. The 500 get you the ability to combine two amp models.

I own the 300 though and am quite happy with the value I received for the money.

Comment

In my last post, I was only talking about my needs from a modeler, but made it sound like "everyone."

But that's the point of this thread - trying to figure out the exact differences between the HD300, 400, and 500. And that's one of Line 6's strengths - creating products of varying features and price points. They're as good at that as Fender.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I was looking at the 300, but I found a 500 scratch and dent model on Musician's Friend for the price of a 400. I've still yet to find a scratch or dent. Otherwise I would have went with the 300.

Comment

Originally posted by lpmarshall View Post
                  I was looking at the 300, but I found a 500 scratch and dent model on Musician's Friend for the price of a 400. I've still yet to find a scratch or dent. Otherwise I would have went with the 300.
                  Good deal. Make sure you can get the software running and you have the latest firmware. They added a few additional amp models on the latest firmware release and fixed a few bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarded View Post
                    Good deal. Make sure you can get the software running and you have the latest firmware. They added a few additional amp models on the latest firmware release and fixed a few bugs.
                    I've only used it a few times since I've bought it, life got in the way. I do need to update it and start messing with it again.

Comment

Just got the 500 last week and I didn't spend much time looking at the 300 or the 400. I liked the layout and larger screen of the 500 so much better.

One thing I thought was very odd with the new line is no swapping patches between the 300/400/500. I know there are some things that wouldn't work obviously but there are enough that would it would've seemed to make sense to me.
                      Last edited by Wattage; 08-24-2011, 12:51 PM.
                      My Bands -
                      https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                      www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                      www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                      GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Sorry; I know I'm a tad late here, but is there a huge difference as for the overdrive? I'm talking about the sound precisely; is the 500 distortion better, or a lot better, than the 300 distortion?

Comment

It is the same. You gain more effects at once with the 500, and more control over switching and order on the 500.

Comment

As far as swapping patches on the HD series, I think it can be done in a limited way by changing the extension of the file.

Comment

Supreme POD HD data! Thanks, Mince. I planned to purchase one but kept putting it off so I ended up muddled.

Comment

Working...
                              X