Going from fender hrd to a twin reverb reissue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going from fender hrd to a twin reverb reissue

I m an owner of a fender HRD which i modded by changing tubes and mainly the speaker (to an eminence tonker) which i own for 4 years and i am quite but not completely happy with, and recently i am in the market for a used twin reverb 65 reissue. I am in search for a much better more lush clean tone to use in association with my od /distortion pedals and effects ( i use a lot of them).

Some local friends told me that older reissue models (those made in the 90's) had really crappy speakers in them, but the new made ones have much better Jensen speakers. Is this true and if so when did fender changed to the Jensen speakers?

Are the currently equipped Jensens good speakers for a reissue twin reverb or i will soon be in the market for a replacement speaker?

Re: Going from fender hrd to a twin reverb reissue

they currently use jensen c12Ks. Yeah they are fine, but dont worry too much if you can't find one with the jensens. The jensens are strong workhorses, but a bit spiky in the top end. The current jensens are very different to the famous jensens of the blackface era fenders. You might as well just find any twin reissue for cheap as you can find, then put in a pair or weber californias and have a superb tone.
    I have seen some twins with the fender/eminence p.o.s. model speaker (same as in hot rods) if thats whats in there, just factor in the cost of a pair of really sexy speakers when you are working out if the amp is good value or not.

im basing this on my experience with an HRD (which i replaced the stock pos speaker to one of the jensens), my princeton (in which i installed a jensen - and later with a loratntz) , and my 1967 twin that has weber californias.
    Last edited by Chickenwings; 08-24-2011, 07:15 AM.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
    X