banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moral of the story: First check the valves...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moral of the story: First check the valves...

Recently, I have noticed some deep purr coming from the bright channel of my 1987 clone. When the volume is say above 7 8, that purr gets really noticeable. In fact, the headcab was vibrating a bit as well. Very tiny vibrations...

And I thought, ****! You know... Of course, the worst case scenario was the one I was afraid of, that the OT was vibrating...

But then I thought of all the advice that knowledgeable folk here is giving: First check the valves. Don't get me wrong, I can do tech stuff. But when it happens... I forgot all of those initially.

Opened up the cab. With a pencil, started checking the valves (touching, not hitting, each with this pencil while the amp is on, and hearing its effect).

So the TungSol 12AX7 (which I loved) was the one causing the vibrations... It was a lively bright valve... Yet, changed it with a JJ ECC83s that was lying around. And the purr and vibrations were gone instantly. I don't like its tone that much, but at least it is working!

Just wanted to share...

B
    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Re: Moral of the story: First check the valves...

"Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

One of the output valves in my amp was playing up recently. I didn't have any spares so I asked questions on this forum where I described what I was hearing and seeing. I was offered many theories and even got a response from the amp's designer saying it was probably a bad screen grid resistor. Guess what - it was the valve. Got a new set, popped them in, no more problems. It's always worth having a spare set of valves so you might as well try this first.

Comment

Nice that you corrected the issue yourself Doc and that it wasn't a big deal and not costly..That's great news!
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Working...
        X