Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PTM's 5E3 Deluxe amp build!

Originally posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
    Didn't take too long - but I had a hard time leaving it alone once I'd started. Unpacked it on Friday and did a few hours. Spent all Saturday afternoon and about 3 hours in the evening. Finished it up on Sunday morning.

I may wait until I get my new (old) speaker before recording clips... maybe. We'll see. I just scored a 1961 Jensen P12Q off ebay.
    Good call on the speaker! Is it blue or black?

Comment

Nice job! Bruce is an awesome guy. Best kits out there not because his parts are first rate but because his support is so good. If you fired her up first time with no issues, very nice job. You are probably great at putting together jig saw puzzles too, right?

How's the noise level? If you've still got some noise, then use a chop stick or something non-conducting to move some of your wires around a bit. You might be surprised what a very small amount of movement can do.

I think you did a great job. So............ what's next? hahahahahaha you have been hooked buddy!

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

And those TAD caps are good stuff. I've used several with no failures. I also like the big orange ones that Nik sells at Ceriatone.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Thanks Scott! The amp is dead quiet at idle. The usual very quiet tube amp hiss, but absolutely quieter than say, my Custom Vibrolux Reverb. No buzz or hum. None.

I'd build another Mission kit in a second! I really wish he offered a Champ 5F1 clone. I think the 5E3 is pretty much the only kit he's got actively going right now. But yeah, excellent support and excellent parts.
          -
          My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
            Thanks Scott! The amp is dead quiet at idle. The usual very quiet tube amp hiss, but absolutely quieter than say, my Custom Vibrolux Reverb. No buzz or hum. None.

I'd build another Mission kit in a second! I really wish he offered a Champ 5F1 clone. I think the 5E3 is pretty much the only kit he's got actively going right now. But yeah, excellent support and excellent parts.
            Bruce is the man. Mojo has a champ kit. They use good trannies and good parts overall. http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/amp-kits-tweed-style

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Working...
            X