The FUZZZZZZZZZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The FUZZZZZZZZZ

I'm in the process of building a Silicon Transistor Fuzz Face clone.

Anyone have any tips or component values they think might be good?

I'm using all the stock values right now, but my transistors are a bit of a hodge podge.

So far the nicest/raunchiest sounds have been coming from a 2N3904 as Q1, and a 2N5088 as Q2.

Also, I'll do a little build thread when I finalize the circuit and get an enclosure to put it in.

Re: The FUZZZZZZZZZ

i really like the bc108's
    Originally posted by gibson175
    metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

I'd research a unit I really like and try to source the components in that.

Comment

Drew: I've been looking for germanium transistors but my local electronics supply guy ran out of them - he said he's got 4 other customers who are building fuzz boxes and he's all out of the germanium transistors. Boo urns. Looked at some transistor substitution recommendations and the 2N5088 popped up, so I grabbed a few of those, but I ended up changing the transistors to two KSP2222A's with good results.

I also changed one of the resistor values, and changed the volume pot from a 500K to 100K. Now it sounds fat and raunchy, but there's still a lot of clarity/note separation, and quite a bit of presence. There's a couple of other resistors I want to experiment with, and possibly see if changing the gain pot value does anything as well...Tomorrow perhaps.

Astro:Nah I don't do that. I go with what my ears like.

I'm gonna call it the Hot Fuzz, and draw a police badge on it. hahaha
        Last edited by CTN; 08-28-2011, 08:31 PM.

Comment

One of the largest sites for do-it-yourself guitar effects builders. Schematics and Printed circuit board layouts for rare pedals like the Tycobrahe Octavia, Clyde McCoy wah and lots of vintage fuzz pedals!

you reckon that site is any good to ya?
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

^ I've already done some reading on there, but thanks!

I started off using Jack Orman's NPN Fuzz Face schematic as a basis to experiment. http://www.muzique.com/schem/fuzzface3.gif

There's still a bunch of stuff I want to try, mostly for curiosity's sake, but I think I managed to somehow get most of the way to the kind of barely controlled filthiness I was hoping to get outta this project hahaha

Comment

Working...
            X