Fixed My Buddy's Yamaha/Soldano T100 Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixed My Buddy's Yamaha/Soldano T100 Head

Common on these amps....We lost the clean green channel the other night during rehearsel...Bruce Egnater totally re-did this amp for me back in 95 or so when I still owned it and it's voiced alot better than it's stock version...

Anyway...The 100k plate resistor to the clean channel side went open at V5.....Also V1 preamp tube went south..This was the original Yamaha stamped Chinese tube...I payed $250 for this head brand new and it's been my other guitarist's amp since about 2000 or so..

Nice that I can work on this stuff and saved my pal lots o money!
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Re: Fixed My Buddy's Yamaha/Soldano T100 Head

Was the plate resistor that died a 1/2 watter ?
    Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
      Was the plate resistor that died a 1/2 watter ?
      Yep and sat right smack underneath a nice big can cap... ;o)
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Nice.

Now, when replacing something like that, is it better to replace it with same value but higher power handling? Like a 1 watt vs. a 1/2 watt?

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
          Nice.

Now, when replacing something like that, is it better to replace it with same value but higher power handling? Like a 1 watt vs. a 1/2 watt?
          I replaced it again with a metal film 100k and moved the cap away,though I don't think the cap gets hot and it's not the reason the resistor went open...If I had a 1 watter,I would have used it..We'll see what happens? I make notes to the schematic in case the same thing happens down the road..This has been a great amp.Other than having to replace the bias caps and some output tubes...No problems at all...I think I'd like to do the filter caps in his amp soon though..
          Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 08-30-2011, 08:58 AM.

Comment

For some reason when I'm in the market for a new amp, I always forget about these. They're killer amps for not a lot of cash. I'm going to have write this down on the amps I'd like to get list and see if I can find one the next time I'm looking around.
            Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

Originally posted by 9finger View Post
              For some reason when I'm in the market for a new amp, I always forget about these. They're killer amps for not a lot of cash. I'm going to have write this down on the amps I'd like to get list and see if I can find one the next time I'm looking around.
              This one was heavily modded by Bruce Egnater and it's alot better than the stock version which I always felt was too harsh,buzzy,and bright on the higher gain channel...Bruce also added a very cool mini triple gain switch to the red channel...I payed $250 for the amp brand new when Thoroughbred Music was still around in Clearwater Fl...

Comment

I want one

Comment

I remember a used T-50 head or maybe it was a T-100 head at the Tampa Thoroughbred store in the early to mid 90s and it was used for $350 but at that time my lack of knowledge on tube amps made me nervous, especially buying one used. I played it and it sounded pretty good. I probably should have nabbed it then, but then I didn't know squat.

How did you get a new one for $250 when these things were close to $1k new John? Sounds like you might have had a special deal or someone in the know you were working with back then.

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion1 View Post
                    I remember a used T-50 head or maybe it was a T-100 head at the Tampa Thoroughbred store in the early to mid 90s and it was used for $350 but at that time my lack of knowledge on tube amps made me nervous, especially buying one used. I played it and it sounded pretty good. I probably should have nabbed it then, but then I didn't know squat.

How did you get a new one for $250 when these things were close to $1k new John? Sounds like you might have had a special deal or someone in the know you were working with back then.
                    They didn't sell well and Clearwater was closing them out..Myself and another friend both bought T100 heads and they were $250 and new closeouts..

Comment

that's almost like the deal of the millenium! Good job!

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
                      They didn't sell well and Clearwater was closing them out..Myself and another friend both bought T100 heads and they were $250 and new closeouts..

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion1 View Post
                        that's almost like the deal of the millenium! Good job!
                        Many years ago though....Like 1995 or so..This amp has been around alot of gigs and practices and has been very reliable...Egnater did $300 of work to it and I also love most of his own stuff.

Comment

Working...
                        X