banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GT-OD vs. Green Rhino (attn: Gearjoneser)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT-OD vs. Green Rhino (attn: Gearjoneser)

Compare / Contrast?

Similarities / Differences?

I want another green overdrive...I'm using a Route 808 with the bass boost switch...s'pretty good but I'd rather have something MXR-shaped.

What do those of you who've got or used both have to say?
    green globe burned black by sunn

Re: GT-OD vs. Green Rhino (attn: Gearjoneser)

the MXR has way more bass than a TS/SD1 - which is what the extra knob on a rhino is for. also more volume on tap too - and more top end! in fact, it has more or everything. It is strikingly similar to a fulldrive in mosfet mode.
    The gt is good...plenty fat in the bottom. I reckon it will do the job nicely for you.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Just putting this out there :

...everyone (me incl.) do not want to lose bass when you stomp on an OD, right ?

Has anyone ever looked into the new white kid on the block ?

"The Ibanez BB9 is a booster that provides a fat bottom end with a powerful sound, perfect for the player who wants to push their amp into overdrive without losing any of their low-end. This pedal is designed to help clean tones reverberate even more and bring more intensity to a player’s sound."

Once my local store get them in, i am deff giving it a serious test drive.
      Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

rhino rhino rhino rhino

Comment

I also, am a member of the Rhino Club. I always liked the 808 vibe. I just hated the loss of arse end that comes with 'em.

The Rhino fixed that!

P.S. My gain on the Rhino stays at 0.

Comment

NOBELS ODR1
            I TYPE IN CAPS SO I FREEL MORE OMPORTANTS
            Custom neck-thru strat
            1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
            1995 PRS CE24
            D'avanzo #8
            Breedlove Solo Concert
            1996 USA Dean Baby Z
            1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
            1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
            Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

I'm not a TS guy at all but having tried both I will say you can't loose either way, both are killer pedals.
              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

omportants?
                "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

yyyyyehhh...

right.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Don't judge me by my drunken antics
                    Last edited by Agileguy_101; 08-31-2011, 08:27 AM.
                    Custom neck-thru strat
                    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                    1995 PRS CE24
                    D'avanzo #8
                    Breedlove Solo Concert
                    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

I have the Route 808 and the GTOD. Both are great, but I find myself using the VS more. The MXR has a more gnawing type of mids, like a V30. It's thick for a TS type pedal, but the VS 808 has more lows with that bass switch. The VS also has more output and sounds smoother to my ear.
                      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Why not buy a Classic OD from GC for $30 and then get a Rhino. Can't really lose with that setup.
                        Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

Originally posted by Van Noord View Post
                          I have the Route 808 and the GTOD. Both are great, but I find myself using the VS more. The MXR has a more gnawing type of mids, like a V30. It's thick for a TS type pedal, but the VS 808 has more lows with that bass switch. The VS also has more output and sounds smoother to my ear.
                          How do you reckon they will sound if you cascade them ?

Even better, or just a mess ?
                          Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Lava Box.
                            "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                              Lava Box.
                              You're an idiot...he's asking about TS style pedals with bigger/better low end, the Lava Box has nothing to do with a TS in any way...

Thanks for nothing
                              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Working...
                              X