Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I like mids and I cannot lie.

Originally posted by LesStrat View Post
    "Boosting mids" is not as simple as turning up ONE knob on an amp.
    And technically, on most amps you don't 'boost' mids, treble, or bass. You reduce them with the tone knobs. They only attenuate, not add.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

**** it, I'm diming the mids on all my stuff from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
        +1. Big dose of mids with a moderate amount of low end, and just enough treble for bite and crunch, that's my formula. The tone hits like a sledgehammer.

Last year my wife filmed me sitting in with one of the better local blues bands at an outdoor concert. The other guitarist had a SSS Strat thru a Fender amp; I had a Sheraton C8/'59N thru a Marshall DSL. When we watched the video back, my tone just dominated the guy, he was lost in the mix. As a guest, it wasn't my intent to 'take over', but he didn't have a chance, solos or rhythm. We were at similar volumes: my tones were ballsy and powerful, his were thin and bright. EQ made the difference.

Of course it depends on how the other instruments and vocals are EQ'd (if they're all mid-heavy, you need more treble to stand out), but I've always gone for heavy mids, and it always works.
        You should post that video, man. It sounds cool.
        I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
          **** it, I'm diming the mids on all my stuff from now on.
          Don't have to go that far...sometimes it's about what you turn down, not what you turn up.
          - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
          Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
          The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

It depends on the music I plan to play. Although for general play I don't scoop the mids.

Comment

Mids for sure! No question about it. Whenever im at g.c. and try out amps the mids are most often set low.

Comment

I've always been a Marshall/EL34 crunch kind of guy. But with my current hard rock/metal band... I find that I prefer the rhythm work with the mids backed-off a bit (just at about 11:00) and for lead work I'll then dial the mids above noon. I don't always want to be distinctly heard in my band (two guitars), cause if I am, then I'm drowning out the other player. Obviously, that's different for when I go to solo.

Oh... and I've always been a huge fan of the JB in the bridge position. Right now I'm using EMG and Blackout equipped axes, but it'd hard to beat the JB for a great all-around pickup and I'll always have a few guitars with those at the bridge.

Actually... now that I think about Joe's OP... I do prefer mids even for rhythm work. When I first picked-up my VHT Ultra Lead, I used the 5-band EQ enegaged for most of the band's rhythm stuff. But now I find that I only very rarely use that scooped sound. The more mid-rangey tone without the scooped EQ engaged is indeed MUCH sweeter sounding.
                Last edited by Red_Label; 10-06-2011, 01:22 PM.
                "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

I am constantly surrounded in mids....
                  nummmmmmm nummmmmm
                  ]
                  FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
                  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Working...
                  X