banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who here among ye knows what V.H.T. actually stands for, hmm ??????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who here among ye knows what V.H.T. actually stands for, hmm ??????????

I've noticed a minor resurgence in popularity lately for those amplifiers "HANDBUILT BY ROCKERS IN THE U.S.A. BURBANK CA 91502" and I was just wondering if anyone besides me knows the actual, correct answer to the question.

Re: Who here among ye knows what V.H.T. actually stands for, hmm ??????????

Pretty sure Steve don't care no more about keeping it a secret.

Comment

Vehicular Homicide Trial
      Very Happy Turtle
      Vascular Hanging Testes
      Venice Heroin Traffickers ???

Comment

i thought it actually didn't stand for... anything

Comment

Valve Harmonic Technology
          Last edited by JOLLY; 09-04-2011, 06:49 PM.

Comment

from SFDAmp.com: 14. “What does VHT stand for?”

VHT founder Steven Fryette moved to Los Angeles from Seattle in 1976. After a few years playing guitar in Southern California cover bands he began focusing on original material and needed a day job to pay the bills. With an innate ability to tinker and coax broken things back to useful life, Steve eventually landed a job doing amplifier repairs and modifications at Valley Arts Guitars, then the epicenter of groundbreaking custom guitar and amp activity in LA. While at Valley Arts, Steve honed his skills doing repairs, modifications and custom work for the likes of Eddie Van Halen, Steve Lukather, Larry Carlton, Tommy Tedesco, Ry Cooder, Buzzy Fieten, Carlos Rios, Duane Eddy, and many other legendary players. Pretty soon his experience in finding innovative solutions for guitarists led him to try out some of his own ideas in guitar amplification.

After several years of building experimental prototypes, Steve decided to go live. Thus began the search for a suitable company name.

“Outside of my circle of friends and clients, I wondered how much sense it made to put my name on the front of an amplifier. Something about that struck me as arrogant or presumptuous, as in “who’s this guy?” I decided to try a pseudonym first. If I failed to come up with something suitable, I’d go with my family name.

I worked on it for weeks…reading, researching; drawing…it reminded me of my days sitting in the back of the class in grade school drawing pictures of drums and guitars. It was also just like trying to name a band – everything I could come up with seemed to have been taken and everyone I discussed it with offered the usual predictably useless suggestions.”

Steve worked tirelessly on this project while developing the prototype 2150 power amp and preparing for the first production run. Time for coming up with a brand name was running out.

“One day a factory rep from TC Electronics visited Valley Arts to demonstrate a new TC product. I was intrigued with the product, but much more interested in the name. I asked the rep what TC stood for. In his thick Danish accent he replied “It stahnds for nussing rilly. It just feelz goot to say in ze mouse.” That was a watershed moment for me. I went back home and began putting letters together that I thought sounded good. It was just as frustrating an effort as what I had been doing already, but I had a renewed enthusiasm for it.

I read where David Byrne of Talking Heads had cut words out of magazines and scrambled them to create song lyrics. I tried that with letters and made a chart of combinations that “felt good to say in the mouth”. Eventually I settled on VHT.”

With the help of some friends in the graphics business, Steve tried various logo ideas. Nothing clicked. He realized there were too many cooks advising him on what a professional logo should look like and went off on his own, eventually settling on a homemade font style using raised letters with a shadow supposedly representing light coming from a sharp angle. It was a very complex logo design.

“It only looked right at a certain height to width ratio. If you messed with that ratio even a little bit, it looked awful.”

His graphics buddies commented that the “light” was all wrong. Steve didn’t care. Once he got the ratio right, he liked the way it looked and besides, time had run out.

“Once I had the logo I soon realized I was going to find myself in the same spot as the TC rep. What does it stand for? I didn’t like that TC “stood for nothing” It must stand for something. I started trying to attach meaning to the letters – an endeavor even more frustrating than coming up with the letters in the first place. Vintage High Tech, Valve Harmonics Technology, Very Heavy Tone. They all sounded stupid and contrived and I realized that this was because it was contrived – so obviously after the fact.”

Larry Latham, a fellow employee at Valley Arts jokingly suggested Valley Heroin Transport

“It was brilliant. I knew it wouldn’t fly in the long run, but it was a signpost – a way forward. I could make a joke of it. I have a terribly sarcastic streak and the idea of making fun of myself was appealing. I went back to the task of finding the right keyword and eventually it came: Voluptuous. It jumped right out at me. I then remembered my fondness for 60s underground comics- Zap Comics in particular - and a gruesomely funny motorcycle gang; the Hog Riding Fools created by the great S. Clay Wilson. One of the characters was a mammoth biker mama riding on the back of a chopped Harley. She had a black scar on the inside of her thigh where she got burned by hot motor oil. “Burnt the livin’ piss outa me and I didn’t even blink” she grinned. In the next frame appeared a crosseyed top heavy biker chick. She was perfect; a Voluptuous Hog Tramp. My work was done.”

Although funny at first, ultimately the inside joke proved obtuse and difficult for the public to swallow. Steve was constantly put upon to reveal the “true” meaning of VHT.

“After many years the whole charade just wore thin and I earnestly wished in retrospect that I had just gone ahead and proudly flew my family name.”

Not surprisingly then, once the opportunity to rectify that situation presented itself, Steve jumped on it.

“I feel like a huge weight has lifted off my shoulders. Now the truth is revealed and all is as it should have been from the beginning.”

Comment

That's a likely story.

Certainly the popular one.

Comment

valentile hole titans

Comment

Very Huge Testicles.

Comment

Van Halen Tone

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                      Van Halen Tone
                      /thread

Comment

Originally posted by Animal View Post
                        Very Huge Testicles.
                        LMAO. That's what I was thinking.
                        Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
                        Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Animal View Post
                          Very Huge Testicles.
                          I'm going with this one...
                          www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

voluptuous humungous ****

Comment

N.F.I.
                              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                              X