Danny Gatton: what Fender amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danny Gatton: what Fender amp?

Wondering if anyone can tell me what Fender amp Danny is using in this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUpP7CnW4yA There's several amps onstage but I'm asking about the one that's miked. You can see it very clearly at the 0:55 mark. BTW, this video might put to an end the misconception that Barden Tele pickups are to "hi fi" or "to bright" or to "sterile sounding". Compared to Roy Buchanan, Danny is getting a less piercing and less trebley tone. There's some warmth there.
    Last edited by Gypsyblue; 09-05-2011, 08:30 AM.

Re: Danny Gatton: what Fender amp?

Based on the shot from :50 to about 1:05 and the fact that the mic is way off to the right hand side and the flatish looking logo I'm going to say brown Vibroverb.

FWIW, this will help with the hi-fi Bardens...Danny did use Blackface Fender amps (Vibrolux, Deluxe and even Super) like Roy's silverface Vibrolux but Roy was known to simply dime everything on the amp...with a Telecaster this results in a LOT of high end.

Danny on the other hand had a very specific tone inmind and was a bit of a gear hound trying to get that tone from his head to your ears.

I have an old Joe Barden Tele bridge pickup and they do have more high end clarity than any other Telecaster pickup I have ever tried however if you read up on Dannys gear and do some tweaking you can find the tones he got.

Also worth mentioning I'd bet my bottom dollar that amp is a reissue Vibroverb but based on the tone coming from it I doubt it's stock!
    Last edited by the guy who invented fire; 09-05-2011, 08:27 AM.
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Thank you! That amp has a 15" speaker. Right?

Comment

Originally posted by Gypsyblue View Post
        Thank you! That amp has a 15" speaker. Right?
        No, the Vibroverb came out in 1963 and for that year only they were a brown tolex amp with a pair of 10's...in 1964 when the switch to blackface amps the Vibroverb went to a 1x15 and really is a completley differnet amp all together.
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

He modified his amps pretty heavily too. Definitely not stock Vibrolux Reverb sounds on his stuff. He also used an old Epiphone amp from the '40s on a lot of stuff too.

Comment

look how many amps hes got lined up!
            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Yeah, Danny was bad to run a multi set up but some of those are for the other picker and some are spares as well...Danny almost never used new amps so he was always ready for somehting to go down...

Comment

I know a guy in Jersey who made some custom amps for him. Supposedly he brought one to a gig & gave it to him before the show. I think he liked it. But as others said Danny was a bit of a gear head & he tried a lot of stuff Mostly Fenders & Fender clones.

"So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Working...
                X