Amp schematic help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp schematic help

I have a handbuilt amp by a local guy called an Atlastweed. Can anybody tell me what this is based off of? I have heard everything from a 5E3 clone to a Matchless.

Re: Amp schematic help

Certainly not a 5E3 (Tweed Deluxe) as the Tweed Deluxe does not have two paralleled triodes for the input stage or a long tail pair phase inverter. The paralleled triodes for the input stage looks kinda similar to some of the Matchless schematics I'm finding, but that's it. Most of the matchless schematics I'm finding have EL84s for output tubes, not 6V6s.

Could be said design is something this guy came up by himself because he thought it sounded cool, rather than setting out to be similar to something already done.

How does this amp sound?
    Originally posted by ratherdashing
    If you don't see the value of a good 1 watt tube amp, it probably means one or more of the following:

- You live out in the country
    - You hate your neighbours
    - You mistakenly believe that your big amp with the master volume at 0.5 sounds good
    - You love solid state amps
    - You don't actually play guitar
    - You kick puppies

Comment

I'm not sure how I'd characterize that schema either.

I'm glad I actually saw it because I thought you were saying the amp name was "at last...weed".
      Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

ha, ha, ha.........good one.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Isn't that a Lightning kind of thing......?
          Parallel V1 into volume and tone.
          Then phase inverter...... with post gain.?
          Matchless, like the OP says in his last sentence.....?
          Some of you builders know better than me....
          I think Koreth has pretty much called it.....I like the 6V6 over the 84's anyway.
          Best
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY73mb28orM
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35mZ4BAvEbg
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nToonE52DG8
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl-ddFbSF0

Comment

Originally posted by zzmoore View Post
            Isn't that a Lightning kind of thing......?
            Parallel V1 into volume and tone.
            Then phase inverter...... with post gain.?
            Matchless, like the OP says in his last sentence.....?
            Some of you builders know better than me....
            I think Koreth has pretty much called it.....I like the 6V6 over the 84's anyway.
            Best
            Mmm, when I look a schematic for a Matchless lightning, the similarity seems to end at the input stage: two triodes in parallel. The Lightning has an additional gain stage and a DC-coupled cathode follower between the volume and a two knob (treble/bass) tone stack.

Still, if the amp makes sounds that you're liking, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
            Originally posted by ratherdashing
            If you don't see the value of a good 1 watt tube amp, it probably means one or more of the following:

- You live out in the country
            - You hate your neighbours
            - You mistakenly believe that your big amp with the master volume at 0.5 sounds good
            - You love solid state amps
            - You don't actually play guitar
            - You kick puppies

Comment

Originally posted by Koreth View Post
              Certainly not a 5E3 (Tweed Deluxe) as the Tweed Deluxe does not have two paralleled triodes for the input stage or a long tail pair phase inverter. The paralleled triodes for the input stage looks kinda similar to some of the Matchless schematics I'm finding, but that's it. Most of the matchless schematics I'm finding have EL84s for output tubes, not 6V6s.

Could be said design is something this guy came up by himself because he thought it sounded cool, rather than setting out to be similar to something already done.

How does this amp sound?
              I'll bet its the latter, sounds like a Matchless crossed with a Fender tweed amp to me, going by the name Atlas Tweed

Comment

btw it sounds AMAZING, lush 3d bloom on the cleans and tons of grind and chime when dimed

Comment

Originally posted by Koreth View Post
                  Mmm, when I look a schematic for a Matchless lightning, the similarity seems to end at the input stage: two triodes in parallel. The Lightning has an additional gain stage and a DC-coupled cathode follower between the volume and a two knob (treble/bass) tone stack.

Still, if the amp makes sounds that you're liking, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
                  Its not that I am worried about it, its that the internet is an amazing resource and wealth of knowledge. Im sure somebody reading knows the exact lineage of this amp.

Comment

Working...
                  X