Great speaker comparing site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great speaker comparing site!

Maybe this link has already been shared here, although I haven't seen it before.

I doubt I would sound like these recordings if I played through these speakers with my guitar, amp and style but I do think the recorded samples give a pretty good idea of the differences in tone that all of these speakers have when compared to each other.

I like the Celestion Gold, Blue, G12H30 Heritage and G12H30 Anniversary samples best. The Weber Signature 12 sounds real good too, although friends who have heard that speaker in person have told me they thought it got muddy when played at gigging volumes. I haven't heard it in person.
    Last edited by Gypsyblue; 09-06-2011, 08:49 AM.

Re: Great speaker comparing site!

Nice link. I for one hadn't seen this before. Thanks!

I'm on a speaker search so this helped.

Comment

Cool. The Jensen p12r really popped out of the mix. Might make a good combination with my lone star special.
      Last edited by SlyFoxx; 09-07-2011, 06:41 AM.

Comment

I like what they are trying to do on that site, but I really don't like their comparasion clips. That guitar line they play to demo each speaker is just terrible. They need to play something drier, with some basic rock riffing. Just my opinion though.

I like this one, although only Celestions are compared...
        Kool Amplification is a privately owned company, specialized in producing high quality guitar amplifiers and cabinets.
        Last edited by Van Noord; 09-06-2011, 12:34 PM.
        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

rats, according to my ears and that site, I want a $200 celestion gold 10.

kinda wish they had a 70/80 in the celestion mix just to see how it varies from the big boyz.

wait, stop the presses, I like the jensen c10Q too for fifty bucks, cool! would make a nice replacement in my lead 12.
          Last edited by DankStar; 09-06-2011, 12:35 PM.

Comment

cool idea, but pretty useless really.
            You really need to try various speakers with your own amp.
            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
              cool idea, but pretty useless really.
              You really need to try various speakers with your own amp.
              Granted, you need to try speakers with your own particular rig. That's obvious. But if you know your rig well, you can use these comparisons as a tool to make an informed decision on your speaker choice.
              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
                Nice link. I for one hadn't seen this before. Thanks!

I'm on a speaker search so this helped.

+1

Comment

Thanks for sharing!
                  "Get a BIBLE: open it, read it, and believe it" - Me

Comment

Thank you! I think it's a very useful site.

I said at the beginning: "I doubt I would sound like these recordings if I played through these speakers with my guitar, amp and style but I do think the recorded samples give a pretty good idea of the differences in tone that all of these speakers have when compared to each other".

To me, that's what the site is good for. Gives us some idea of what the speakers sound like but more importantly, how they differ.

Comment

I'm glad they didn't use a heavily distorted metal sounding guitar for the solo samples, BTW. I'd have no interest in listening to that. That's not my playing style and that kind of tone masks the subtleties and dynamics of a speaker and amp, IMO. When I listen to guys on Youtube demoing pickups, guitars, amps or speakers and they're using buzzy distortion pedals I can't tell what I'm listening to. And most of those guys don't play all that well either. The players on this Watford speaker site can actually play.
                      Last edited by Gypsyblue; 09-07-2011, 08:02 AM.

Comment

nice start, but lacks so many interesting speakers...
                        no weber high power series, no eminence, no jensen neo? :-(
                        ~+~ tube afflicted, strat addicted ~+~

Comment

Originally posted by Baltar View Post
                          nice start, but lacks so many interesting speakers...
                          no weber high power series, no eminence, no jensen neo? :-(
                          I think they only sampled the speakers they stock and sell.

Comment

i reckon a really useful comparo would be one where you can click a speaker, and see the frequency response table, and compare them that way. So imagine all those speakers watford are offering with instant graph comparison.
                            That would be really cool imo.
                            Listening to some guy playing his favourite riff with his favourite sound using his favourite guitar and amp is useless. Its too limited.
                            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Boy - tough crowd! lol!

Comment

Working...
                              X