Crate Blue Voodoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate Blue Voodoo

Tell me about them. I know Marty Friedman used one in Megadeth, and I've heard some reviews and demos of them but what can you guys tell me about them.
    88-89 Fender HM Strat(Dimarzio pickups)
    Fender Blacktop Jaguar(JB/Jazz)
    Guitar>TU-2>Ernie Ball Volume Pedal>Joyo Octave Fuzz>SD-1>Small Stone Phaser>Amp(Effects loop>DD-7>DD-20>Holy Grail)
    Vox NightTrain 50.
    My Band

Re: Crate Blue Voodoo

one past discussion here (note some circuit issues brought up):

Tubes or Solid State: All are welcome. If it amplifies a signal, this is the place!

Comment

Marty Friedman never played the BV - just the cabinets. Plus, it was an endorsement deal. Take that with a metric ton of salt.
      Custom neck-thru strat
      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
      1995 PRS CE24
      D'avanzo #8
      Breedlove Solo Concert
      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
      1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
      Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

oh wow.....well i mean its either one of these or a 6505 i was looking at.....I think im gonna go towards the 6505. :|
        88-89 Fender HM Strat(Dimarzio pickups)
        Fender Blacktop Jaguar(JB/Jazz)
        Guitar>TU-2>Ernie Ball Volume Pedal>Joyo Octave Fuzz>SD-1>Small Stone Phaser>Amp(Effects loop>DD-7>DD-20>Holy Grail)
        Vox NightTrain 50.
        My Band

Comment

I've had 3 or 4 over the years. They sound pretty good so long as you don't have anything else to compare them to.

Comment

Get the 6505. Just beware that it's loud.

****ING. LOUD.

I mean, I had the post around 3.5 and the pre around 7 or so in the loud room at GC, and the guitars on the walls were shaking.
            Custom neck-thru strat
            1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
            1995 PRS CE24
            D'avanzo #8
            Breedlove Solo Concert
            1996 USA Dean Baby Z
            1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
            1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
            Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by dmandude123455 View Post
              oh wow.....well i mean its either one of these or a 6505 i was looking at.....I think im gonna go towards the 6505. :|
              I love my BV300 but it was at a friend's house so long that I just sold it to him for a couple hundred bucks. That said, while it was SUPER loud and sat in the mix perfectly, there's no comparison. The 6505 is a better amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucid_Lunatic View Post
                I've had 3 or 4 over the years. They sound pretty good so long as you don't have anything else to compare them to.
                That's pretty funny.

Comment

A friend of mine had a bandmate that used a bv, and he called it "blue doodoo". Having only heard the amp and never played it, I'd have to agree.

Ironically, 6505s are the ****!
                  "After I die I shall return to earth as the doorkeeper of a bordello and I won't let a one of you in." -Arturo Toscanini

Comment

I've played both. The 6505 is a way better amp. No contest at all here.

Actually, what I played was the 6505+. But still.
                    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

I had one for a couple years, gave it away for free if that is any comparison for ya to think about!
                      Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
                      When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
                      Red Devils - 1% all the way!
                      Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
                      Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Yeah the Blue Voodoos aren't very good in their stock form. Wampler use to have a mod for them that made them sound pretty good and Trace at Voodoo Amps can make them sound stellar. However, they're not really worth sinking the money into. They had some design flaws when they first came out, but they got that fixed. They've been out of production for years, so if you find one that's still working, there's a really good chance that it didn't suffer from bad filter caps.
                        Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

Originally posted by TwofacePimp View Post
                          A friend of mine had a bandmate that used a bv, and he called it "blue doodoo".
                          Legitimate LOL
                          my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

The first studio we were at, to start tracking our new CD, had one. I played through it, when we were laying down some drums, for a few songs. It was only because it was easier, since it was there, and we weren't going to keep anything but the drums (and maybe the bass), anyway.

I could see how maybe a metal guy might like them, but, for a Marshall guy like me, it sounded like ass. I suppose I could get away with using one, in a pinch(God knows I've gotten stuck having to deal with worse, over the years- solid state Crate XL, anyone?), but I'd much rather not.

Comment

Working...
                            X