been working on my marshall.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• been working on my marshall.

it had this rattle. also it made a hum when it was switched down to half power. Turns out it had a loose tube socket (which also caused seme other recurrent issues)
    Anyway, after an hour or two of soldering and tryin to work out what wire goes where, i have replaced the tube sockets on my MKIII 100w master volume 900.
    FOr the 900 haters out there,its a totally different beast to the dual reverb 900s that everyone knows (i used to gig with one in the early/mid 90s). Its more like an 800 master volume single channel - but with the extra bonus of two switchble master volume controls and the extra gain sensetivity circuit. Warm, robust and responsive. Full of harmonic presence.

I dont use it much cos i play jazz, but seeing as i spent the mornig working on it, i gave it a good play and rediscovered what i like about marshalls. Turn the master to 10, the sens to zero and use the gain for volume and its a wonderful amp.So fat, warm and crunchy. If i want to ramp up the gain and turn it into a hair metal screamer, its just a matter of cranking up the preamp gain and adding some of the sensetivity kob (it controlls a clipping circuit after V1).
    SO nice to play. Never makes my ears get tired the way dirtboxes into a fender does.
    NIce speaker (g12h100) all in a 1x12 combo made of heavy ply It really does deliver great vintage rock tones in a small but prodigiously powerful box.
    Definitely a "box of rock"...i reckon its a closet classic!

that one in the pic is not mine, but its the identical model. Im running JJs in the power section and EH in the pres.
    Last edited by Chickenwings; 09-10-2011, 02:00 AM.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Re: been working on my marshall.

I want one.

Comment

i also kinda like how it says on the back
      "JIM MARSHALL PRODUCTS, BLETCHLEY, ENGLAND"
      and the speaker says
      "CELESTION INTERNATIONAL LTD, FOXHALL ROAD, IPSWITCH ENGLAND"
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I like my jcm 900...tons of mids in that thing!

Comment

thats true in fact the eq is really: low mids, mid mids, high mids and presence! lol
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I haven't cranked mine up in a while. Need to now that I have my SG Jr. project done. At some point I'm hoping to hunt down a 50 watt 1x12 combo (2501).

In my 100 watt head I'm running JJ 12AX7's and EH EL34's.

Every tech I have talked to about these has said good things about them. They don't see them in a lot but when they do, they are easy to work on from what they say.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
              . At some point I'm hoping to hunt down a 50 watt 1x12 combo (2501).

In my 100 watt head I'm running JJ 12AX7's and EH EL34's.
              I would love to own one as well!
              Originally posted by Jessie Sammler
              I don't have an ignore list. I'm not arrogant enough to think I can't learn something from people who annoy me.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              This is the dumbest thread that's ever been on this forum. It makes this place look like a bunch of damn idiots. Just run this place into the ground why don't you. You're like a bunch of 12 year olds. This thread is sooooooo DLT'ish that it's pathetic.

Comment

Yeah, and it's in great looking condition. Don't sell it.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

that one in the pic is not mine. but mine is in perfect condition too.....except the inside of the rear upper back panel looks a little toasted from the heat of the tubes...but you have to take it off too see. Its kinda hip tho i reckon.
                  Nah im not gonna sell it. Its good even tho i use it rarely. There are some sounds you just cant get unless you use the real thing.
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                    thats true in fact the eq is really: low mids, mid mids, high mids and presence! lol
                    that is exactly it!! I turn the bass to 10, and that is the 80s hair spandex button really

Comment

Working...
                    X