a question for amp builders and modders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a question for amp builders and modders

i heard that you have to replace the film screen resistors in a 5150 before you can do the bias mod. is this true? do those really have anything to do with how hot you can set the bias? i heard it was justr on the older ones. mine is a block letter so i guess it is pretty old.
    i am confident enought to unsolder a resistor and replace it with another resistor and a trim pot. but i am not confident enough to start replacing things without proper instruction.

any help is appreciated. thanks.

Re: a question for amp builders and modders

Yes.

5150's technically over-dissipate 6L6s at full signal. I regularly replace them in amps that maintain the stock non-adjustable bias as well. The stock set up eats tubes with no positive audible effect. In fact, replacing the stock 100 ohm/5 watt resistors with 1000 ohm/5 watters really brings out the punch in the amp and makes the tubes last a lot longer. It is major surgery to get to them and you shouldn't even consider doing it yourself unless you know how to drain the caps and have the means of being able to verify that they are drained before you proceed.
    Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

Re: a question for amp builders and modders

i really appreciate it man. thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X