banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Pedalboard/ Switching setup (with pic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pedalboard/ Switching setup (with pic)

So in my quest to have a functional, easy to use effects and switching system I have been through several incarnations of a “rig” over the past few years. At the heart I have had my Hughes & Kettner TriAmp Mk I. It is a great amp that gives me all the tones I need. With the addition of the optional MIDI Module, I can switch my amp channels and effects loop on/off all via MIDI. Great!

I started with the T.C. Electronic G-Major and a MIDI foot controller. And while this system worked very well, I felt that the effects could be better. So I moved to the T.C. Electronic Nova System. The effects are much cleaner on the Nova, and the unit as a whole is much more transparent on my core tone. However, the Nova has one huge downfall for me. The patch changes are not instant. The MIDI program change is not sent to the amp until after you take your foot off of the button. This creates some interesting issues in a live setting. You have to anticipate the patch change and hit the switch just before you need it to change. Not exactly idea in a live environment.

So while having a few beers with my bass player, I had a light bulb moment. Why not use my MIDI controller and go through the Nova onto my amp. This way changes happen instantly- like I want them to. This also allows me to use the Nova’s switches as MIDI CC switches- giving me the ability to turn individual effects on and off as I may need to.

So with a 8ft 2x6, a chop saw, a drill and some Velcro I give you my new pedalboard setup. I think this came out very well, and functions exactly how I need it to.

Signal Chain: Guitar -> Peterson Strob-O-Stomp -> Wah -> Modded TS-9 -> Front end of the amp. The Nova and my amp are now controlled by the ADA MPC- with the Nova in the loop of my amp.
    2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
    2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
    2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)
Working...
X