running two amps at once?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• running two amps at once?

Should be easy, your guitar to a splitter box (like Lehle P-Split) then to the two amps with their respective cabs. Check for phase issues and you're set.
    But, how would you equalize both amps? the same tone shaping? or different eqs for both? what about cross-overing them?, one amp for lows, the other for mid-high? ...omg! what about applying different effects on both? ...yep, I'm high.
    Last edited by crguti; 09-16-2011, 05:28 PM.

Re: running two amps at once?

It'll blow your mind!

Take a stereo effects like chorus and run into 2 amps.

Comment

yeah, that sounds cool too, but I'm above that... me thinks, phaser and delay.

Comment

I use two amps. I have for a long time. I use an A/B/Y so I can switch between them. I use different effects in each, but generally I use one for clean & one for drive. The only issue you need to be concerned with is ground loop hum. I use a Loopmaster A/B/Y with a Humix on each amp. It is pretty quiet & I get great sounds out of my rig. In retrospect I should have boght a Lehle A/B/Y but they were very hard to find at the time.
        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

As far as how to eq:

Until it sounds good.
          Custom neck-thru strat
          1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
          1995 PRS CE24
          D'avanzo #8
          Breedlove Solo Concert
          1996 USA Dean Baby Z
          1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
          1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
          Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
            As far as how to eq:

Until it sounds good.
            This.

I run 2 amps into a single 4x12 which I wired as dual-mono 2x12s in an X-pattern. They sound very different from each other but when combined, blend together into pure awesome sauce:

Explore the largest community of artists, bands, podcasters and creators of music & audio

I use a Radial ABY w drag and phase adjustment.
            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

keep in mind that two different amps will sound decently different regardless of how you EQ them...

I would get two amps whose natural characteristics complement each other.
              For example, a middy amp with a thick/bassy amp

or a brittle, brash amp, with a smooth, warm amp

on my ex-band's album, I used a Splawn Quick Rod and my Jet City JCA100 for my rhythm tracks. I found that they complemented each other quite nicely. The Splawn was tight, middy and had lots of oomph, and the Jet City was thick, warm and smooth.

Comment

I do it everyday and love it!!

Comment

just gotta mention the old skool method....parallell inputs and chain them in mono
                  "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

My way is more ghetto, and more epic.

You take a mic. Get a converter or a cable that goes XLR to instrument. Plug that sucker into one amp. Now mic the amp that the guitar is plugged into.

TEEHEE
                    Originally posted by jmh151
                    I'd hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the King of England
                    Originally posted by jeremy
                    like if we were walking down the sidewalk and you said "hey check her out" chances are i already saw her and mentally sodomized her
                    Originally posted by grumptruck
                    Media only reports on what the sheeple wanna see/hear/read.
                    Sometimes not read.
                    dats hard

Comment

Originally posted by crguti View Post
                      yeah, that sounds cool too, but I'm above that... me thinks, phaser and delay.
                      There are stereo phasers and delays, too. Stereo chorus was just one example, not an exclusive list.

Using different amps for dry and delayed signal can be a lot of fun, too. Mixing different tones with a delay can get pretty wild for tone shaping.

Comment

I do it for all my guitar and bass tones in my recordingz. its a pain to EQ but its worth it cause the tone is way better. I also double track, so really 4 different types of guitar amplifiers in each song.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                          This.

I run 2 amps into a single 4x12 which I wired as dual-mono 2x12s in an X-pattern. They sound very different from each other but when combined, blend together into pure awesome sauce:

Explore the largest community of artists, bands, podcasters and creators of music & audio

I use a Radial ABY w drag and phase adjustment.
                          I have never thought of doing it this way, cool idea

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
                            As far as how to eq:

Until it sounds good.
                            Yup. I have a DSL 50 and a Mesa DC-5. A/B box from guitar to both amps. From there, each amp is fed into a Marshall 4x12 with V30 and G75Ts in an X pattern. Very interesting blend of tones.
                            Originally posted by Jessie's ghost
                            I like having the stop bar all the way down. Sue me. I've got like six dollars.

Comment

I just use one of my stereo boss pedals.

right now it's my RV-5 Digital Reverb, I used to plug it into my hot rod deluxe as well as an ac30.

Comment

Working...
                              X