old big combo amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old big combo amps

Love my twin, not selling it ever, but the idea of a looper has me curious about a stereo rig.

So what other big old NMV combos are out there that could keep up with a twin?
    Originally posted by gibson175
    metal zones are for pussies.

Re: old big combo amps

I always wanted an ampeg V-22 which is the combo version of a V-4. I wanted it because that is what QOTSA plays. however, the combo weighs 100 pounds and is very hard to maintenance so I said forget it, and I saved my back!

Comment

Certain Music Man amps, even with a MV, will not only keep up, but with the right speakers, could drown a Twin out.

The Quadraverb might be a good choice, it's a 4x12 combo loaded with a Twin.

An Ampeg V-4 head, or the VT-22 combo would certainly keep up. If all else fails, look up an SVT, which can be readily EQed to hit the sweet spot with a guitar, and will keep up with most other amps on the planet.
      Last edited by guitfiddle; 09-17-2011, 03:04 PM.
      - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
      Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
      The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Do you want more of what you have?

If so look into the Silverface Vibrosonic Reverb amps form the 70's, those are cool...big Twin style chassis in an overgrown 1x15 cab, most often with a JBL.

Or maybe go the other way with a Fender Super 6, a Twin in a 6x10 set up.

If you want a slightly different sound go Ampeg...those 70's 'pegs are cool and have a big fat clean sound, not as clear as a Fender, a little darker/thicker most of the time. some of them need odd tubes but many of the odd tubes are being made again so it's all good.

V4 heads, VT22 and VT40's are all the same basic head but the V4 is a head, VT22 is a 2x12 and VT40 is a 4x10 if memory serves me...

SS recto Traynor Bassmaster amps are also cool and about 90 watts a pop...they were greaet deals in the 90's when you could pick 'em up for $250, now they are bringing $500 but thats still a great deal for a handwired with primo parts!

If you can get around the combo bit look for a Sound City 120+ and a cool cab...smokin amps, loud as **** and still a great deal on the used market!
        Last edited by the guy who invented fire; 09-17-2011, 10:40 AM.
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

musicman rd 130...but it will need good speakers.
          or an 800 mv and a quaddie.
          otherwise....2 twins! yeeeeah baby!
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

loopers get kinda repetitive tho....
            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Seems I've heard that before...heard that before...
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

loopers get kinda repetitive tho....
                Oh absolutely, I can't stand bands/artists that just sit there and layer loops for half an hour. Probably why I haven't bought one yet, it's quite an investment for a pedal I'm gonna have to try NOT to use most of the time. In a heavier-sounding trio though sometimes it's hard to be big and melodic at the same time. In fact, I would venture to say that MOST newer instrumental bands, trio or otherwise, lack melodic content--they mostly just play riffs.

Aaanyways, after all that rambling, hopefully a good looper'll help me add some variety.

Ehhh kind of, but not really. If I did I'd just buy a twin RI for what, like $500, put my other twin on top of it and be done with it, but such is not the case. I'd like something with a little more dirt to it, warmer overall, maybe a bit more going on in the mids but not mid-focused like a marshall, with a bit more compression.

A high powered tweed twin with reverb, a more closed-off back and a couple eminence wizards would be... one hell of an amp to pair with it, but that kind of custom job would cost way too much

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post

If so look into the Silverface Vibrosonic Reverb amps form the 70's, those are cool...big Twin style chassis in an overgrown 1x15 cab, most often with a JBL.

Or maybe go the other way with a Fender Super 6, a Twin in a 6x10 set up.

If you want a slightly different sound go Ampeg...those 70's 'pegs are cool and have a big fat clean sound, not as clear as a Fender, a little darker/thicker most of the time. some of them need odd tubes but many of the odd tubes are being made again so it's all good.

V4 heads, VT22 and VT40's are all the same basic head but the V4 is a head, VT22 is a 2x12 and VT40 is a 4x10 if memory serves me...

SS recto Traynor Bassmaster amps are also cool and about 90 watts a pop...they were greaet deals in the 90's when you could pick 'em up for $250, now they are bringing $500 but thats still a great deal for a handwired with primo parts!

If you can get around the combo bit look for a Sound City 120+ and a cool cab...smokin amps, loud as **** and still a great deal on the used market!
                  Not sure about the 120+I'd stay away from the Sound Cities L120 with the intyeractive controls..more trouble then they are worth, huge noise floor and
                  noone knows how to fix em

I'd look for a a old Traynor YGL-3 MKII combo. Like a twin on Steroid.
                  If you like Solid State, Kustom makes some cool old combos, but stay away from the Studio series hybrids- a royal PITA.
                  "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                    Not sure about the 120+I'd stay away from the Sound Cities L120 with the intyeractive controls..more trouble then they are worth, huge noise floor and
                    noone knows how to fix em

I'd look for a a old Traynor YGL-3 MKII combo. Like a twin on Steroid.
                    If you like Solid State, Kustom makes some cool old combos, but stay away from the Studio series hybrids- a royal PITA.
                    Again with the useless posts...

-Interactive is spelled interactive

-They are no trouble at all...have you ever even used one?!

-The noise is not nearly as high as many vintage amps

-Plenty of guys can and do fix them, in fact and real amp tech can fix them.

Please, please, please stop making these posts that are made up of something else you read on some other forum, likely posted by some other half wit thats reposting crap he read posted by some half wit...it makes for a lot of wrong info getting passed around and makes you look like an ass.

Thank you
                    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Two twins a la michio. Don't be a dick.
                      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                        Two twins a la michio. Don't be a dick.
                        dude it's so funny seeing his rig stacked up next to 2 orange fullstacks, an ampeg fridge stack, and a model T fullstack. Like I said a tweed one and my early SF one would be ideal, but tweed is expensive

Comment

^ what's even funnier is that he's obnoxiously louder than all those other amps. he turns on that Fuzz Factory-sounding pedal and it's like the stacks themselves turn to look at him.

Comment

Originally posted by drew_half_empty View Post
                            I'd like something with a little more dirt to it, warmer overall, maybe a bit more going on in the mids but not mid-focused like a marshall, with a bit more compression.
                            If you run your Twin fairly clean for the most part it's really only going to take about 30 to 35 watts in a more mid focused amp to keep up with it, particularly if you are putting a little more hair on it.

The first thing that came to mind based on your description were some of the 2x12 Silvertones or Magnatone/Estey amps. An AC30 might even be worth a check as would a Vibrolux.
                            Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

i had totally forgotten that this exists:

Run vintage-y fuzzes and OD's into your clean old Twin...then run your delays, reverbs and loops through the FX loop on this sweet modern Twin.

Comment

Working...
                              X