Need reco's for a modern filthy fuzz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need reco's for a modern filthy fuzz

Ok, so after years and years of hating on fuzz, the bug finally bit me, and I realize that I must have a fuzz on my pedalboard.

I built a fuzz face clone, but it won't play nice with my other pedals and my wireless system.

So now I need some recommendations for a thick, nasty, hairy fuzz which has no problems interacting with other pedals (most of which are buffered).

GO!

Re: Need reco's for a modern filthy fuzz

You are limiting yourself to only a few choices...

The buffers and the wireless system really cut out like 98.7% of all fuzz boxes.

Big Muff for the most part will work with your set up.

Also, check out the ZVEX Mastotron, it has a variable impedence control called Relax/Push that works...you'll only be able to get great results form it if you dial in the sweep spot on the relax/push control and leave it be but it will do what you are asking.

Past that I'm at a loss to be honest...
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Thick, nasty, hairy, filthy - very lo-fi: Ibanez FZ7
      The old Boss FZ-2 is so fuzzy, that chords, even diads, don't even sound out.
      Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

I loved the EHX Double Muff that I tried recently. Man was it nasty and huge sounding.
        It's not expensive at all either.

You can cascade it with the overdrive circuit and make it tighter and precise, more civilized but still hairy.
        Or you can go to 11 in the fuzz circuit and then it's just a massive sounding thing.
        Not my kind of sound, but it's undeniably a great pedal IMO.
        Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
        Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
        Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
        Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Death By Audio Fuzz War
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
            The buffers and the wireless system really cut out like 98.7% of all fuzz boxes.
            I've never owned a fuzz pedal. Why is that?

I remember Eric Johnson saying his Fuzz Face was really picky about what pedals are going into it, too.
            But I thought it was just his OCD kicking in.
            Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
            Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
            Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
            Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
              Death By Audio Fuzz War
              Does it play well with impedence issues!?
              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                I've never owned a fuzz pedal. Why is that?

I remember Eric Johnson saying his Fuzz Face was really picky about what pedals are going into it, too.
                But I thought it was just his OCD kicking in.
                There are impedence issues...

EJ has a touch of OCD but the issues with old vintage fuzz pedals is real and plain enough for almost anyone to notice is...

The old fuzz pedals are a super old design, at the time no thought was really put into bypass and impedence because first no one felt like it mattered and second at the time no one was really using more than one pedal at a time...today it makes a lot of issues.

Watch this clip...James shows what happens if you put a buffered pedal before a Fuzz Face, even on this clip you can hear it but it's even worse in person and it changes the feel and responce of a fuzz as well...the part I'm talking about is at around 1:27

Comment

when i think of "Modern Fuzz" i think of the Big Muff Pi.

most modern players who want fuzz are either consciously or subconsciously going for a White Stripes / Nirvana type tone...which is the Big Muf Pi.
                  green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                    Does it play well with impedence issues!?
                    I've used the pedal in the front, middle, and back of my pedal board (which includes a TU2 in the front and a Radial ABY at the rear). I've stacked it with other drives and fuzz pedals, and have not had an issue yet!

Comment

I've used the pedal in the front, middle, and back of my pedal board (which includes a TU2 in the front and a Radial ABY at the rear). I've stacked it with other drives and fuzz pedals, and have not had an issue yet!
                      Interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                        when i think of "Modern Fuzz" i think of the Big Muff Pi.

most modern players who want fuzz are either consciously or subconsciously going for a White Stripes / Nirvana type tone...which is the Big Muf Pi.
                        not sure nirvana is a fuzz stomp pedal type of sound

fuzz pedals don't really allow any type of chug/chunkiness heavy riffage chunk. that is why I stay away from em. I depend on my RAT II for huge sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by everdrone View Post
                          fuzz pedals don't really allow any type of chug/chunkiness heavy riffage chunk. that is why I stay away from em. I depend on my RAT II for huge sounds.
                          Sorry, mate, but not true.

My original Tonebender II sounds HUGE and is great for riffing, as is the Fuzz War. I am sure there are more out there, but I haven't played 'em all ...

Comment

Sorry, mate, but not true.

My original Tonebender II sounds HUGE and is great for riffing, as is the Fuzz War. I am sure there are more out there, but I haven't played 'em all ...
                            I have not heard one that allows for palm mute chugs yet, definitely saw the fuzz war pedals clips and they allow for riffage but not palm mute chuggingz uber br00talz

I think the tone on them is great, just not flexible enough for what I like

Comment

fuzz war!

Comment

Working...
                              X