banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's a good amp to run clean and loud? (Getting all dirt from pedals)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a good amp to run clean and loud? (Getting all dirt from pedals)

I've been pretty happy as of late with the variety and tone from my pedals.
    I also like how the Cube 60 takes them in the Fender Blackface mode, it has a warm sound and plenty of headroom so that's good,

but eventually I'd like to move to a more simple, basic, analog amp. You know, connect a cab, set the EQ, and play loud. My Cube has 8 models or something. I use one. And judging by the other models, it's probably not as good as it can be.

So, assuming I'm a happy dog with my dirt pedals (which of course will be upgraded further down the road),
    what amp (head format) doesn't destroy the wallet, is loud, and gives a good, wide, WARM clean sound at most volumes?

It can't be sterile, stiff, tiny, or plastic sounding. That would ruin everything.
    You know, it's gotta be a great clean sound, but not super clean like a JC120.
    I'll run it to a 4x12 or 2x12 maybe..

This could be pretty much anything, I know, but it's not like I'm asking for much either.
    I want simplicity, tons of headroom, power and reliability.
    Tubes or solid state, I don't care. If it sounds good, it sounds good.

All brands and suggestions are welcome!
    Last edited by Diego; 09-17-2011, 06:36 PM.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Re: What's a good amp to run clean and loud? (Getting all dirt from pedals)

A Fender, of some sorts. It's just a guess.

Comment

Fender Twin or Twin Reverb
      -
      My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

You just described exactly what I was looking for when I got my Silverface Bassman. I couldn't be happier with it. Just make sure to get it reverted to Blackface specs (as long as it's a NMV model, any competent amp tech should be able to do it) and give it a general tune up, and you're good.

Honestly, I think that's probably exactly what you're looking for. It's plenty loud, but unlike a Twin, it actually breaks up at a more reasonable volume. Expedite that ***** to the top of your list pronto.

Plus, while I don't know how much they cost out there, or how available they are, but they're easy as hell to find here. There was just one on my local Craigslist for $500 that had been sitting there for weeks - I think it's not there because the posting expired, not because it was taken. So yeah, they're pretty easy to find.
        Last edited by Agileguy_101; 09-17-2011, 07:23 PM.
        Custom neck-thru strat
        1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
        1995 PRS CE24
        D'avanzo #8
        Breedlove Solo Concert
        1996 USA Dean Baby Z
        1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
        1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
        Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
          There is no substitute.
          Originally posted by Jessie's ghost
          I like having the stop bar all the way down. Sue me. I've got like six dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by eschoendorff View Post
            There is no substitute.
            Nope. It's the standard if you want blunt force cleans at retarded volume.
            -
            My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

I sold my Bassman because my Music Man HD-150 could do each and every sound the Bassman could, and other ones it couldn't do (good dirt at lowish volumes, killer phaser built in). This was after playing them both, side by side at home, and at gigs. Seriously underrated amps.
              Last edited by guitfiddle; 09-18-2011, 10:38 AM.
              - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
              Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
              The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Laney LV300

Comment

Looking for much the same. I have settled on a Fender Twin. The Twins come in so many types it is hard to decide. I have narrowed it down to the red knob, 65 RI and the "Twin Amp." The price of the red knob is the lowest at about $400 and the RI is the highest at about $600. Many silverface models are also nice, but I have not had any luck finding one I like.

I like the Bassman too, but then I need to figure in a decent cab.

Figure if I can get a really good red knob for $350-400 I will be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by eschoendorff View Post
                    There is no substitute.
                    definitely. but it doesnt have to be retarded volume. they sound great on 1 or 2 also.
                    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

David Gilmour has been getting great cleans and pedal derived dirt from Hiwatts for years and years. I've seen them used for reasonable prices...
                      www.lockwireguitars.com

Comment

I was going to say an old Hi-Watt as well. Not easy to find really..and not cheap, but they def have the headroom
                        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

The question is one of money...

Silverface Fender amps are as easy option and even the 35 watt Bandmaster makes a great clean platform if you don't need a ton of volume...Bassman amps are also good clean amps but the Twin Reverb is king...

Old Traynor amps are also GREAT clean platforms...sometimes actualyl louder and cleaner than Fenders!

70's Ampeg amps are big, loud and clean...V4, VT22, V40...heck even the "smaller" V2's are loud and clean.

Those 3 are going to get you into big, loud and clean for the least bit of cash...anything else I can think of is gonna really get into some big money.
                          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
                            +1 for Twin Reverb. Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong with any Fender tube amp as they have always been known for their cleans. I'd also recommend a Vox AC30. I heard a GC Rep plug into one to demo a guitar for a customer and was blown away.
                            Last edited by GuitarGuy503; 09-18-2011, 08:33 AM.
                            Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
                            Roland Cube 60
                            Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
                            BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
                            LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
                            Mogami Cables
                            Mooer Candy Toppers
                            Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
                            Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

u want a great clean??? well you WILL be sacrificing great dirty then. cant have both!

Comment

Working...
                              X