taming the fizz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• taming the fizz

so i play through a 5150 (for those of you that dont know) i recently had a x pattern of GWS Verteran 30 and ET65's. alone by your self this combo sounded amazing and no fizz what so ever! but in a band situation it created mud with the bass and low mids. not anything terrible but it could be improved. so i got 2 HM75's.

this combination did not sound as good (but not bad) by itself but in a band situation it sounded amazing. much more clarity and punch. cleaned up the overall sound of the band.
    however i have alot more fizz in my tone. dont get me wrong some fizz is ok becuase in the mix it adds a bit of grind. but what i want to know is this:

are there any preamp tubes to help tame the fizz but keep the agression?

right now i am runing all jj tubes in the preamp. what about tungsols or jan phillips 5751? i dont care to lose gain. lord knows this amp has plenty. i run mine at 3 1/4 and i play death/thrash/groove metal. but i dont want to lose agression just fizz.

any suggestions?

(side note) i picked up this 5150 block letter 4 years ago for 230$...... that was killer

Re: taming the fizz

A 5751 will have a pretty severe loss in gain; I don't think you would find it acceptable.

You might want to try a Mullard in v1. An old Siemens will also be darker/warmer than the JJs, but are very expensive.

Can I ask which JJs you are using? If you are using the CC83S, you should hunt down an 803S; which is a modeled after the olde Telefunken 803. It sounds very close to an old Mullard in the v1 slot ...
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

yes sir. ecc83s in v1 v2 v3 v4 v5

Comment

what about a Svetlana 12AX7 for v1

Comment

Can you post your treble and presence settings? I also would suggest a Tungsol in V1 that's what I found best in my 6505.
          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Are you using anything to boost the front of the 5150?

A lot of times I've found, you can really dial back the preamp gain, and add an imperceptible amount from a ts808 or ts9 and they really smooth out the harsh high end, while tame the bass qualities of the rhythm channel especially. It really just pulls out the super low frequencies, and makes the amp shine.

I would try that before doing anything else with your original speaker setup if you can (Veteran 30's and ET65's).

In my experience using a 5150 through 4 Vintage 30's, I would have to turn up the presence MORE to get the same amount of fizz compared to G12T75's or even the stock Peavey 1200 Sheffields.

Comment

Pre gain 3
              bass 7
              mid 5
              treble 6
              resonance 3 1/2
              Presence 2
              post gain 3-5

Boss sd-1 (c6 removed)
              Volume 2 o'clock
              Tone 11:30
              Gain off

Comment

What about a mxr 10 band in the loop?

Comment

Your settings look just fine, I personally use more presence and less treble myself. But I also run my 6505 through an oversized 4x12 with some smooth and thick speakers (Legends)
                  I also have a SD-1 with the C6 mod. But I tend to use a 808 or OCD to boost that amp.
                  Something also to try is lowering the preamp gain to 1.5 - 2, then raise the gain on the SD-1 to 9:00. I would also experiment with the low gain input on the amp.
                  JJ ECC83S's are really high gain and aggressive sounding, especially noticable in the V1 and V2 spots in amps. An amp like your's doesn't really need that extra spikey aggression. I've found they add gain, and it manifests itself as fizz in high gain preamps. V2 will have the most affect on the Lead channel so try a Sovtek, EH, Mullard or Chinese tube in there.
                  Last edited by Van Noord; 09-19-2011, 12:07 PM.
                  ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                  ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                  ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

I will try these things. Also maybe I just need to wait for the speaker to break in more. They only got like 5 hours on em

Comment

I tried running the highs lower and turning the presence up. That really helped a lot. I think I will try some preamp tube swaps as well in v2. Thanks for the imput

Comment

Originally posted by metalmachine View Post
                        I tried running the highs lower and turning the presence up. That really helped a lot. I think I will try some preamp tube swaps as well in v2. Thanks for the imput
                        The louder you run the amp, the better the presence works. It doesn't really make an amp super bright like the treble knob, it just gives the notes a hard edge that really makes it through a mix.
                        - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                        Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                        The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Working...
                        X