Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PNNMVAD Thread

Originally posted by SoCalSteve View Post
    They're great little amps. I was running the head through an attenuator at home with a 2x12 cab of WGS Green Berets - sweeet!

I liked it anywhere from 11:00 - 2:00 and used the guitar volume to clean up.
    I'm assuming the Green Berets are their take on a Greenback?

and yeah, pretty much 11-2 is where the magic is at.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
      I'm assuming the Green Berets are their take on a Greenback?

and yeah, pretty much 11-2 is where the magic is at.
      Yep, GB flavor at a much lower price - I've owned a few of the WGS line - good stuff.
      Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSteve View Post
        Yep, GB flavor at a much lower price - I've owned a few of the WGS line - good stuff.
        Cool thanks for the tip . I did see a fairly good comparison of their speakers to the real deals on youtube where someone was A/B in the V30s, and come to think of it, maybe the GBs too. IIRC They are not voiced exactly the same, but sound good nonetheless, and in the ballpark.
        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I'm mostly a bedroom wanker! My brother (guitar/bass player) says I need to get back into a band, but I really don't have the time or inclination (old & lazy, and a newborn)
          I think the real problem will be keeping wife and baby out of the house often enough for me to crank the **** out of it
          Jeff, let me explain how this works:

YOU join a band. Wife and baby stay IN. You go OUT. For rehearsals, for gigs, for all kinds of band-related shenanigans where, amongst other things, you get to crank the **** out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_F View Post
            Jeff, let me explain how this works:

YOU join a band. Wife and baby stay IN. You go OUT. For rehearsals, for gigs, for all kinds of band-related shenanigans where, amongst other things, you get to crank the **** out of it.
            No problem, lemme just get your address and telephone # so I can give it to her, for when she looks to the root cause of me being out all the time.

"but Simon says, dear!!!! "

Comment

Nice review!
              Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
              My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Awesome to hear, the waiting is the worst part of buying new gear
                Originally posted by Vincent Vespa
                Dirtbag is only half full of dirt. There rest of him is full of awesome.
                I'm as happy as a Tornado in a trailer park!! \m/

Guitar: Fender American Special Mahogany HSS Strat
                Charvel 275DX (Single coil Custom JB, Lil'59 in neck)
                Fender Std Fat Strat MIM (Crazy8 in the bridge, Lil'59 in neck)
                Amp: Line6 Spider2-30 watt
                Lil 5 Watter from Hell AX84 Hi-Octane
                Effects: Boss SD-1 DIY TS9 on Steroids MOD

Comment

Thanks guys- totally diggin this Lil' Red Devil!

Comment

I am definitely interested in comparing the Class 5 head to the Studio 2 ...

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                      I am definitely interested in comparing the Class 5 head to the Studio 2 ...
                      Based on what I've heard of your clips Ben, I'd say they are pretty different- and I'm sure considering cost your amp is far better built at the least..of course ther eis no accounting for tone tastes.

The Class5 is kinda filthy, and rough around the edges. Its raw, and unapologetic about it. Your amp sounds much tighter/clearer/more pristine. Though I'm sure with some different speakers and a tube swap, the Class 5 can get tighter and clearer. But I think due to the nature of it's very simple circuit it will always remain on the "rough" side. Its certainly not Valve Jr rough (you were right, btw), just not booteek quality. It's a good value amp that gets one in that classic Marshall ballpark, but certainly will never hit it out of the Park (ha ha...Park...GET IT?)

Comment

You're probably right, and I'm certainly not looking for low-cost-bang-for-the-buck-Nirvana. But I still would like to try the amp out.

When I got the Little Night Train, I originally intended it to be used for stage volume fill at gigs, but the tone is just too ... ratty -- or as you put it, 'rough round the edges'.

However, since then I've found two niches for the LNT that it really excels at and, in retrospect, am quite happy with the purchase:

1. As a headphone amp for practicing, I love it. Though not as versatile as the VG88, it has a warmth that the Roland does not, as well as being a lot less fussy (simply 'cause there's less to fuss with).

2. As a synth amp, the LNT is hard to beat. When tracking synths, I run both my Dave Smith MOPHO and Moog Slim Phatty through the LNT and it adds a level of richness that going direct never can achieve.

So, who knows? The C5 might have hidden uses, also!

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                          You're probably right, and I'm certainly not looking for low-cost-bang-for-the-buck-Nirvana. But I still would like to try the amp out.

When I got the Little Night Train, I originally intended it to be used for stage volume fill at gigs, but the tone is just too ... ratty -- or as you put it, 'rough round the edges'.

However, since then I've found two niches for the LNT that it really excels at and, in retrospect, am quite happy with the purchase:

1. As a headphone amp for practicing, I love it. Though not as versatile as the VG88, it has a warmth that the Roland does not, as well as being a lot less fussy (simply 'cause there's less to fuss with).

2. As a synth amp, the LNT is hard to beat. When tracking synths, I run both my Dave Smith MOPHO and Moog Slim Phatty through the LNT and it adds a level of richness that going direct never can achieve.

So, who knows? The C5 might have hidden uses, also!
                          I've not played the LNT, but I have spent some time with a NT, and the Class 5 definitely does not have that ratty/fizzy pre-amp gain thing going on. the Blackstar 1 has that too. Class 5 is smoother and more musical in the preamp section- the "rough" part is more like the sound a JTM45 gets when it's dimed- sounds like the thing is going to explode and gets that kinda tubby low end- Class 5 has more of that characteristic. At least with the stock tubes and speaker in the combo.

Comment

Working...
                          X