Backup thread got me thinking...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup thread got me thinking...

How would a POD X3 Live (or any variety of modeler/effects board for any who have already tried this) sound through a Crate Powerblock to the cab of your choice? Does the Powerblock have enough characteristic sound to it that would make the amp modeling features sound ugly? I'm wondering what a cheap solution is to be able to play out loud at decent volumes in my studio as I save up for bigger purchases.

I'm happy with the tone I get from my X3 to the PC directly, or through headphones direct from the POD. If the Powerblock isn't a good cheap choice, is there something that will get me up and out loud through a stack with my POD? Thanks in advance!
    SBMM JP70 "Shadow" - ESP Horizon "Violet" - Charvel Model 5 "Cherry" - Ibanez S570 "Beast" - Ibanez RG470 "Penny" - Ibanez RG4Ex1 "Azure" - Fender Strat "Candy"
    Mi Familia

Re: Backup thread got me thinking...

The Powerblock is pretty much 100% transparent if you know how to make it that way. If you read my post in the Powerblock thread, I mentioned that Crate seem to have unwittingly left the cab sim low pass on during normal operation. If you plug the modeler into the CD inputs instead of the regular line inputs, it will be completely transparent.
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

How about the EHX 44 Magnum vs. the Powerblock? I like the idea of something cheap and transparent that can really push my POD through a cab. If I can spend $100 now to be happy with my guitar sound while I upgrade my drums and mics, it's worth having something like that until I save for a Rectifier way later down the road.
      SBMM JP70 "Shadow" - ESP Horizon "Violet" - Charvel Model 5 "Cherry" - Ibanez S570 "Beast" - Ibanez RG470 "Penny" - Ibanez RG4Ex1 "Azure" - Fender Strat "Candy"
      Mi Familia

Comment

http://http://www.musiciansfriend.co...rack-power-amp

this may be more money than you want to spend but it would be awsome i think

Comment

Originally posted by metalmachine View Post
          http://http://www.musiciansfriend.co...rack-power-amp

this may be more money than you want to spend but it would be awsome i think
          Yeah that's like triple the price I can find one of the other mentioned items for. Way more power than I need. We're talking studio only application, at levels that won't piss my neighbors off.
          Mi Familia

Comment

Couldn't you just hook the L6 to the PA?
            There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one

Comment

Originally posted by Johtosotku View Post
              Couldn't you just hook the L6 to the PA?
              I use http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/ADA8000.aspx for my mic preamps, I don't imagine that would work would it o.O? Otherwise, not running a PA. This is a small, digital project studio. Small in scope, at least.
              Mi Familia

Comment

Yoy should be able to run the line 6 through line inputs on any interface better then running through a power amp and miking.
                Gondola Kid
                Bandcamp
                Facebook
                JimijaymesGuitarist
                Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by James Rock View Post
                  Yoy should be able to run the line 6 through line inputs on any interface better then running through a power amp and miking.
                  Well yeah, I do that. I run the Line 6 from SPDIF to my Mbox, and it sounds gorgeous. I'm talking for out loud, rocker volume, something to jam with at decent volume. Not gig with, and not record with via mic, but something to play out loud.
                  Mi Familia

Comment

There have been tons of people use powerblocks into 4x12 cabs for their PODs and been very happy with it.
                    Originally posted by MikeS
                    a "career" of playing sold-out bedroom shows to the posters on my wall.
                    Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
                    whats becoming of this generation
                    We want to listen to music while we mow the lawn.

Comment

Working...
                    X