1 Signal into 2 Amps into 1 Set of Speakers & Hot Plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 Signal into 2 Amps into 1 Set of Speakers & Hot Plate

I'm trying to work out the details of a new set up I'm thinking of and need some help. To summarize, I want a two amp setup that feeds one set of speakers in separate cabs.

I want to run one guitar signal into a splitter box that will always be set to feed two output signals, each continuously going into an 8 ohm amp. I do not need to switch between amps separately, and I'd like the smallest size possible but quality is more important.

I then want the amp speaker outputs to feed a two head amp switcher, so that I can use a foot switch to toggle between the amps, on the output side.

From there I want the one output from the amp switcher to feed a hot plate, so that I can attenuate when needed. The hot plate output would then feed the two 8 ohm speakers in separate cabs.

Here are my questions:

1. I have a THD 8 ohm hot plate. It's directions say it's two speaker outputs are in parallel and that an 8 ohm hot plate requires 2 16 ohm speakers (or more specificlly, 2 16 ohm cabs). Ouch, because I recently bought two 8 ohm swamp thangs (and love them). What options do I have with 8 ohm speakers? Can I run one speaker output and set the cabs up in parallel? If so, how do I that? A 4 ohm hot plate can run them, but only one of my amps has a 4 ohm output option and I assume a 4 ohm hot plate requires 4 ohm amp outputs. I'd really like to avoid having to sell/replace the speakers if at all possible.

2. What guitar signal splitter do you recommend? I'm currently eyeing the Lehle P-Split 2. Looks high quality and fits the size and no-foot switch requirements.

http://www.lehle.com/products/P-Spli...try=dk&lang=en

3. What two head amp switcher do you recommend? I'm currently eyeing the Weber with a footswitch.

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/2head.htm

4. Anything I may have missed or better solutions for what I'm trying to end up with?

Note that I went with two separate cabs because I'm using large 1x12 cabs, I want to keep the weight down, and I want the bottom cab to be closed back and the top cab to be open back.

I had originally thought I'd just get two more identically configured cabs, line each set up beside each other, and use a voodoo lab amp selector for the guitar signal. Doing that would allow running both amps/both outputs, I guess for stereo, which would be cool, but it's not a requirement and it's a more expensive setup with moving expense on my body.

Thanks a bunch fellas.

Re: 1 Signal into 2 Amps into 1 Set of Speakers & Hot Plate

I think I may have assumed wring with a parallel wiring on the single output from the hot plate. I think that ends up with 4 ohms, which is less than the 8 ohms coming from the amp. I think series returns 16 ohms and may be safer, but I'm not sure, I wouldn't know how to wire that either, and, to be honest, I absolutely suck at this ohm stuff..lol. guess I better start learning.

Totally relying on experts here, and very much appreciated!

Comment

Ok, this thread helped a lot. Unless someone here disagrees, it's looking like I should replace the 8 ohm speakers with 16 ohm and use the parallel hotplate outputs to get an 8 ohm load result that matches the amps. I want to avoid the lower output I'd get with a 16 ohm wiring, and I'm not even sure it can be done across separate cabs. More stuff to sell...lol. But I want to get it right.

http://www.legendarytones.com/ohms.html

Any thoughts on the rest of the set up?

Comment

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Are 2 16 ohm speakers the best route? Anything else I should be concerned about?

Comment

my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

lol...not sure what that means, but great movie. Anyone else?

Comment

Why is all of this necessary? Just use a simple A/B/Y box into 2 amps. If you need attenuation, turn the amps down.
              You're making this way more complicated than it should be.

Comment

That would work if I went with my initial plan of separate cab sets for each amp, but I want each amp to feed one set of cabs, thus requiring a speaker switch after the amps, in additon to the Y switch in front of the amps.

I've finally found a thread on this and it looks like it will work. And it addresses some of the effects issues other threads were discussing.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...d.php?t=614415

The THD directions are pretty clear on using 16 ohm cabs, so I think I'll play it safe and just get swamp thangs at 16 ohms and sell the 8 ohm units.

Maybe I've answered my own questions...lol...but I respect the input on this site and was hoping for some confirmation.

Comment

To close the loop on this in case anyone else considers doing this, it came out great. No issues at all. No noise, hum, etc. Completely silent switching.

Comment

Working...
                  X