Compressor basics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressor basics?

I have never really understood how to properly use a compressor and frankly, I've never had much use for one. However, there are some things I've run into playing bass lately that I think might be helped by using one.

I understand the "Level" knob pretty well, but am missing the point on the "Sustain" and "Attack" knobs.

Any help?

Re: Compressor basics?

Compressor pedals confuse a lot of players...

I find it a little hard to explain a comp so I always suggest just going and using one...even if you don't like a Dyna Comp for example using it will give oyu an idea of what the basics are and what the controls do...

However, I'll give it a shot...

Level or output/volume you already have...

Sustain is the amount of compression that is added...or how compressed the signal gets.

Attack is basically how fact the compressor grabs the note to compress it...with a faster attack the compressor gets the note and compresses it faster and a slower attack waits a bit longer before the compresison kicks in allowing a faster more aggressive attack...

The attack control is nice to have since different player pick differently and use different types of guitars, amps, strings, picks, etc...
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Re: Compressor basics?

Attack = how much the initial attack of the note you play will be attenuated or 'squished'.

Sustain = how much the end of the note is boosted to give the impression of sustain.

With most I've tried, the 'attack' still squishes the start of the note too much even up full. This wont be as apparent with low output or single coil pups but it is still there.

I really like the idea SD have come up with on the Double Back compressor that blends the original note with the compressed one to get around the squish issue. Its on my list of pedals to try.

HTH
      "that’s what is so good about the guitar — everyone can really enjoy themselves on it and have a good time, which is what it’s all about. Right?”

Jimmy Page

Comment

Working...
      X