Green LED's for the Classic OD's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green LED's for the Classic OD's

This evening, a friend asked if I could drive him to Radio Shack, so I took it as an opportunity to finally get around to swapping the red LED's in my MXR Classic OD's to green ones. So I picked up a pack of two for only $1.69, came home, tore them apart, and soldered the new ones in.

Pretty easy, but I recommend soldering them in with full length legs, then trimming them. The first one was more difficult, since I'd cut it to size. There's a piece of tubing that automatically sets the height, so the LED protrudes perfectly.

I think this is how they should have come in the first place. They look perfect now. These pedals sound great on Marshalls too.....sweet singing lead tone.

Last edited by Gearjoneser; 09-27-2011, 01:46 AM.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Re: Green LED's for the Classic OD's

I might have to give that a try. Looks pretty sweet!
    Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Comment

yes they do go nicely with marshalls.
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I definitely agree; that green looks great on em!

Comment

Damn, I'm gonna have to crack open my classic od again, that looks great. Is this going to be easy? I've never swapped a led before, is there a wire to solder or is it plug and play?

Comment

The green really looks nice on those ODs. I might also have to do it to mine.

What value LED is it?
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
              The green really looks nice on those ODs. I might also have to do it to mine.

What value LED is it?
              Once you disassemble the pedal, you'll see that it's as simple as two solder points, and you just have to make sure + is facing the top and neg facing the bottom. I also recommend feeding the full length LED into the holes, soldering, then trimming. It's hard to hold the LED in place if you've pre-trimmed it.

I'll have to double check the specs and edit this, but it's a 5mm, 3vdc, 20mA if I recall correctly.

Comment

I dig! I'm partial to blue, but the green is very cool too!

Red is so 20th century

Joe, are those pedals built on some "classic" circuit? like a TS or DOD 250 or something? I've never fooled with one.
                I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
                  I dig! I'm partial to blue, but the green is very cool too!

Red is so 20th century

Joe, are those pedals built on some "classic" circuit? like a TS or DOD 250 or something? I've never fooled with one.
                  Not sure. I'm not even sure Jorge Tripps had a hand in it or not, but they remind me of a Boss Super OD with better low end. They're easily the best OD's I've ever bought for $30 - $40. I'd imagine they sound good on Fender amps, but they're perfect for Marshalls/humbuckers.

You should buy one while GC still has them. It may be what you need for your Marshall Class 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                    Not sure. I'm not even sure Jorge Tripps had a hand in it or not, but they remind me of a Boss Super OD with better low end. They're easily the best OD's I've ever bought for $30 - $40. I'd imagine they sound good on Fender amps, but they're perfect for Marshalls/humbuckers.

You should buy one while GC still has them. It may be what you need for your Marshall Class 5.

THX for the FYI- I'll hafta check 'em regardless of it being an OD, if they sound good, and are that kinda price, I can always find some use for it, plus I'm partial to the SOD vs. the TS anyway.
                    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I'm going to have to open mine up and trace the circuit. However, since there is a switch to go from Classic OD to ZW OD, I'm willing to bet it's a dead ringer for being a Tube Screamer/Super Overdrive style circuit.

Changing the LED is simple. Just gotta watch the forward voltage and the polarity when replacing it or POP goes the LED.

I've used several different colors in pedal builds and out of them all, red is still the easiest for me to see on stage.

Comment

That looks great. I may have to try and do that as well.

Comment

VERY cool..

And inspirational!!!
                          Last edited by Aceman; 09-27-2011, 04:46 PM.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I spy monster cable, for shame!!!! Nah, just kidding

Looks great GJ.
                            "After I die I shall return to earth as the doorkeeper of a bordello and I won't let a one of you in." -Arturo Toscanini

Comment

Originally posted by TwofacePimp View Post
                              I spy monster cable, for shame!!!! Nah, just kidding

Looks great GJ.
                              I've never had a problem with Monster cable, but the weird part is how thick the plugs are. You have to use force to push them into a jack. They do it so there's a solid connection with no wobble.

My favorite cable is Colossal Cable though, and those are the absolute best cables I've ever tried. I just wish I had a whole set of pedalboard cables from them.
                              Here's my 2 cents on the Colossal Cable site.
                              Last edited by Gearjoneser; 09-28-2011, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X