My final thoughts on the Way Huge Green Rhino

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My final thoughts on the Way Huge Green Rhino

I've had this Green Rhino since the day they got released, put it on my board next to a Klon Centaur, and made it all work with my Bogner XTC rig.
    I used my MXR Classic OD's as bounce around OD's, powered by batteries, on my other amps.

First of all the Green Rhino is a very different OD, in that it's all bass and low mids plus compression.....and you can get highs out of it as well, but no high mids like all other OD's. That's a good thing, since it's a good companion for most high/mid pedals.

My style is sorta like Bonamassa and Blues Saraceno, but I also play a lot of straight blues through clean amps with Gibsons and Fenders.

I just realized what the Green Rhino does best. It's got way too much compression to be used with gainy amps, and sounds best on hard clean amps. It creates a very Robben Ford-ish tone on clean amps. And I love that tone too, especially with my ES-335 and Matchless or Gibson Goldtone amps. So, I spent the evening with the Green Rhino on bold clean amps, and it's pure magic. Totally sucks and sounds congested on my Bogner and Jubilee, but excels on amps like Fender, Vox, Dr. Z, or Matchless.

Overall, the Klon kills on everything. The MXR Classic OD is amazing on gainy amps, and the Green Rhino is fusion heaven on clean amps.

So, now the Green Rhino is my floater....which I use in front of any clean amp I'm playing, and the Klon and Classic OD will be on the main board.

If you've got a few OD's, start experimenting on places that they sound the best. I'm curious to hear about it.
    Last edited by Gearjoneser; 09-28-2011, 12:24 AM.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Re: My final thoughts on the Way Huge Green Rhino

I would Joe, but I've only got one amp!!!

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

interesting opinion. I don't have the Green Rhino, but I've got the Pork Loin and Fat Sandwich. They have inside knobs to tweak to taste (which the Green Rhino doesn't have), and after some days of tweeking I got a great sound out of them using the clean channel of my Boogie DC-5.
      So, my experience with the Way Huge pedals is that they sound better with a clean amp as well.

thanks for sharing
      Last edited by crguti; 09-28-2011, 02:49 AM.

Comment

Thats the key Joe...matching different OD pedals and different amps for loads of different tones...
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I just used the Green Rhino with a strat and tele on a bunch of Fender blackface amps tonight, and yeah.....if that's the gear you use, the GR is a great way to create a gain tone....ala SRV/Dumble. It's basically a big fat tubescreamer with less of the dist/clean mix sound and more linear and sustaining. It takes a clean amp up in gain very naturally.

But, if I put it on gainy amps, it really doesn't sound right. The low strings up high get too squishy.

It's a really interesting pedal for this reason. It's like it excels at everything most other OD pedals don't excel at.
          Last edited by Gearjoneser; 09-29-2011, 02:04 AM.

Comment

How well does it work into the clean channel of your Bogner or Silver Jubilee Joe?

I'm looking for a low gain OD to use on the clean channel of my Quick Rod but non of my go to ODs seem to be doing what I want them to.

Comment

Originally posted by Brow View Post
              I'm looking for a low gain OD to use on the clean channel of my Quick Rod but non of my go to ODs seem to be doing what I want them to.
              It will sound like @ss with the QR; it's too coloured and compressed.
              Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
              My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post

I just realized what the Green Rhino does best. It's got way too much compression to be used with gainy amps, and sounds best on hard clean amps. It creates a very Robben Ford-ish tone on clean amps.
                That is exactly the same thing i feel a ToneZone does for a Solid State Amp. Except for the Robben Ford thing...But you hear what I'm saying.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Brow View Post
                  How well does it work into the clean channel of your Bogner or Silver Jubilee Joe?
                  That's the only place it sounds good....on a clean tone, being used to get a bump in gain and fatness. And that's why I pulled it off my board. The Klon and MXR Classic OD are more useful.

Now, I'm going to use the Green Rhino by itself anytime I'm plugged into a Fender, Matchless, or Gibson Goldtone.
                  Last edited by Gearjoneser; 09-29-2011, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                    It will sound like @ss with the QR; it's too coloured and compressed.
                    Thought of it as another option, just incase. I'm still just going to use the QR OD but just thought of it out of curiousity

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                    That's the only place it sounds good....on a clean tone, being used to get bump in gain and fatness. And that's why I pulled it off my board. The Klon and MXR Classic OD are more useful.

Now, I'm going to use the Green Rhino by itself anytime I'm plugged into a Fender, Matchless, or Gibson Goldtone.
                    Cheers Joe, think I'll give it a miss. Just thought I'd ask anyway

Comment

I've played the Rhino a bunch at GC, where I work. That bass boost kills. The Rhino's cool because it's not at all like other OD's out there. I sat and ABC'd it with the OCD and the Superlead by lovepedal. The other two are obviously more conventional and similar to the all too familiar TS style OD. One would expect the Rhino to be on the same lines, cuz duh ITS GREEN! Joneser did a great job describing the drive. It's very low-mid heavy. I can imagine it sounding wonderful with a tele and a good brightish fender amp.

I just got the MXR classic OD, 22 BUCKS! I really dig it! I'm also having a great time stacking pedals of dirt. I'm using an SD-1 first then my Swollen Pickle then the Classic OD. I like having one OD pedal in front and behind the fuzz. Mostly i'm using the MXR with a higher crunch then layering in the SD1 for a big tight "Brown" sound, which is exactly what I wanted from using two ODs. Trey Anastasio uses two TS9's and I really love his tone.
                      Gear:
                      Fender '03 CIJ Antigua Strat
                      Epi Dot Natural
                      Partscaster blackie
                      Breedlove Passport Mahogany
                      VOX V845 -> MXR Blue Box -> Boss CS-3 -> MXR Phase 90 -> Paul C. Tim OD -> Fulltone Plimsoul -> Boss CE-3 -> EHX Memory Toy -> SD Deja Vu Delay >
                      Marshall Artist 30 4202 or Bugera V5

I WORK FOR GC, IF YOU NEED A DEAL PM ME!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X