Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decimator G String configuration

Hello,

I am curious how to run the Decimator G string without using the effects loop of my amp.

Is it:

Guitar cable into GUIT IN
    Jumper cable from GUIT OUT into DEC IN
    DEC OUT to amp?

It is the only box I use.

Thank you.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Re: Decimator G String configuration

I have it, you put your pedals in a loop and the guitar is in/out,

so no pedals then put it in the guitar/in/out and not in the loop

great pedal!

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

But using GUIT IN and GUIT OUT alone does absolutely nothing. I assumed it could be used that way if I played an amp without an effects loop, but at doesn't work.

Also, if I go straight from my guitar into DEC IN and out DEC OUT to the amp, I get no sound at all through the amp.

So, working this through in my head, I assume the following:

1. The GUIT IN and GUIT OUT path serves only to track the signal from the guitar; it provides no noise reduction.

2. It needs something going through the GUIT (tracking) path in order for the DEC (noise filtering) path to do anything, including even letting a signal through to the amp.

Now, this is not in the [piss-poor] instructions, but I am thinking that if I go out of the tracking (GUIT) path and then patch over to the noise reduction path (DEC), it might (should?) work. GUIT senses what I am playing and informs DEC, which is also getting my guitar signal because I am piping it over from the GUIT OUT.

Assuming this is the trick, it would be nice it there was a switch on the pedal that internally connected GUIT OUT to DEC IN for those who don't use any effects...or at the very least a note in the instructions.

Also, would be nice to be able to run it as a normal (non-G-String) Decimator just by using the DEC IN and DEC OUT without using the tracking path.

We shall find out...but I need to go buy an extra cable first. All my cables have crapped out on me or gone missing except for two! And I don't really use effects, so I don't have any patch cables lying around.
      Last edited by ItsaBass; 10-02-2011, 12:29 AM.
      Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

OK, I was able to borrow a jumper cable from a bandmate and try my idea tonight. Works like a charm!

So, in summary, this is what you do to use the Decimator G String as a straight-through noise reduction box, like the plain Decimator, without using your amp's effects loop or any other effects:

1. Cable from guitar goes into GUIT IN
        2. Jumper cable goes from GUIT OUT to DEC IN
        3. Cable from DEC OUT goes to amp (or tuner and then amp)

It does just what the Decimator does, but with the benefit of being able to track your guitar signal first before it applies the NR. Notably less tonal alteration to my ear.
        Last edited by ItsaBass; 10-02-2011, 12:28 AM.
        Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Working...
        X