Marshall Vintage Modern - Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Vintage Modern - Opinions?

I'm considering picking one of these up, have a line on a lightly used 50 Watt combo that is a great deal because it has a microphonic output tube. I'm curious what people think about them, to me it sounds a little anemic at low volumes, which is a shame, but really screams when you crank the master. I'm particularly curious about build quality and reliability because Marshall doesn't have the best reputation for that recently.
    Originally posted by ratherdashing
    If inviting 200 drunken strangers to your parents house is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Re: Marshall Vintage Modern - Opinions?

Haven't played one in a while, not since their first roll-out, and that was at the London Guitar Show. I thought it rocked!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Totally dug the couple I have played. I think its the best amp they have done since the 800 series as far as new full size amps go (IOW, not including reissues). Pairing/designing them with Greenbacks is another big +

IMO, it's not quite as quick and easy to dial in as a typical Marshall. You really need to find your general tone with the mid boost in/out and the two gain knobs, and then use the tone controls to do the final "sculpting".
      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I had a 50w Vintage Modern before settling down with my DSL 50, but I wish I had room to keep the VM. It's a great amp and sounded great for home practice and gigs. It wasn't the loudest 50w Marshall as I remember it. My 1987x 50 plexi and my DSL50 are both louder than the Vintage Modern I had. Still, I was able to dial in good headroom at maximum volume even though I use 50w speakers.

It's not an easy amp to dial in all the time. You walk a fine line between the settings on your amp and your pedal. I set mine up for a very clean tone and used my OD for the dirt, but it wasn't always ideal for different styles of music. However, whatever tone you dial in is awesome. I'd like to have one just for liquid Satch type lead tone.

Comment

The couple I've tried sounded awful. Really fizzy almost transistor like sound when you ramp up the gain a bit.
          They really don't have any sweetness to the tone at all so really not for me.
          It's a valve sporker... it sporks valves

Comment

I haven't played one but it's a Marshall I'm definitely interested in. Keep those opinions coming!

Comment

Stupid question - how do these compare to the JVM's? Some of those sound really great on paper but it seems like not many have played them...

Comment

i owned one of the 50 watt heads for awhile. they are nice amps. the thing to keep in mind is they are designed to be used with greenbacks. when i bought mine i tried it through the matching cab and through one of the handwired 2x12's and it sounded great. when i got it home and plugged into my 4x12 with vintage 30's it sounded pretty bad. got real fizzy sounding.
                i have thought a few times about getting another one. on a side note when i got it one of the guys who worked at the music store had brought in his older slash signature head to compare them. the VM is pretty close to a jubilee from what we were told by the marshall rep. just with different tubes and a few tweaks.

Comment

The other guitarist in my band plays a JVM410H and I absolutely love it. I'd probably opt for a JMP out of sheer simplicity, but it's easily the best sounding Marshall made since the JCM800 days.
                  www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

I dig it. Played through the 50 watt head a few times and really got a long well with it. It does take some time to dial in with the interactive gain controls but it has that big roar sound to it. I want the combo.

Comment

I am also a VinatgeModen fan.

I got to plug into one not so long ago. The 2X12 combo.
                      I really LIKED that amo.
                      Hugely (((LOUD))) if need be, but also sounds very, very good at lower volumes.

Not even my 60's Tele sounded thin on this amp.
                      I am deff a fan of this Marshall.
                      Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

The combo seems to be fantastically touch sensitive, with the Master at 3 and both gains set around noon (with body set a bit lower than detail), I was able to summon decent cleans, crunchy rhythm, and some pretty overdriven solo tones just by adjusting the volume, pickup selection, and coil splitter. (Guitar was a semi-hollow tele with a SD-1 in neck, a Schecter custom single coil in the middle, and an SD tele bridge pickup) I thought it was pretty impressive, especially for an amp with stock tubes (the KT66s they ship with are apparently not the greatest, the local dealer said they got a lot coming back in with microphonic power tubes), I'm sure the tone could be improved a lot by a good pair of NOS valves.

- Edit, This was on low sensitivity with the mid-boost activated. With a different guitar with a SD JB bridge pickup, high sensitivity mode, and the EQ knobs dimed it pretty much nailed the JCM800 hot-rodded marshall lead tone to my ears. I also really like the purple, but that's not really a reason to buy an expensive amplifier... I think.
                        Last edited by schecterplayer; 10-02-2011, 11:24 PM.
                        Originally posted by ratherdashing
                        If inviting 200 drunken strangers to your parents house is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Comment

Robin Trower is playing them now, if that tells ya anything at all. They have to be good to go up there with him.
                          - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                          Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                          The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

I had a VM 100 watter and loved the tone. I thought it was fairly easy to dial in great tone. Very touch sensitive. Had one of the best clean sounds I've heard and I also loved the dirty sound. It's a single channel, but acts like a two channel. Not very loud for a 100 watter, but still too much for me. It sounded about as loud as a typical 50 watt tube amp. I assume that the 50 watter would be similar and sound like a 30 watter.

The 50 watt head is what I should have bought in the first place, and I would probably still have it today.

Great sounding and playing amp!!!
                            Originally Posted by IanBallard
                            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Just wanted to add that I ran the head through my Avatar Vintage 2x12 cab loaded with a Swamp Thang and a G12H 100. It sounded amazing!
                              Originally Posted by IanBallard
                              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X